ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creatine timing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

We talked about whether you should take creatine pre-workout or post workout. Or if it mattered at all. Well now there's some research about it.

Quote:
J. Antonio and V. Ciccone. 2013. The effects of pre versus post workout supplementation of creatine monohydrate on body composition and strength. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/36

For those who can't access the study, or don't use the time for that, here's some notes:
- 19 recreational bodybuilders, around 14-18% BF, 80kg weight.
- 4 week Hypertrophy bodypart program, 5-split. Lots of variety on exercise selection
- No food restrictions or control. One random food log day was assigned
- 5g of creatine either pre- or post-workout. Off-day creatine intake was not regulated!

Average Results (lots of variety though):
- PoWO had Bigger Bench Press 1RM increase (only around 1-2kg difference)
- Fat free mass increased 1kg more in PoWO
- PoWo decreased BF% almost 2%, PreWO really didn't

I think this is fairly interesting. But at the same time the study isn't all that awesome. First of all, no nutritional control or even creatine control on off-days. (Creatine was used at the subjects convenience) The random 1d food logs show that while there was no scientific significance, there was still an average 150kcal difference in total intake, and 40g difference in carbs. In both, post workout group consumed more. Also, there's no record of nutrient timing, which we all know can make a world of difference.
The group wasn't too huge, but it was alrigth. These recreational bodybuilders were pretty buffed, hanging around with 18% BF at most. It would be interesting to see if there's any difference in lower BF's, like 10-15%.

Also I think it's unclear if the increase in fat free mass was muscle or something else, like water. Maybe post-workout supplementation of creatine will draw more water to muscles. Who knows. We still need way more research on this topic.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Creatine timing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Dub wrote:
We talked about whether you should take creatine pre-workout or post workout. Or if it mattered at all. Well now there's some research about it.

Quote:
J. Antonio and V. Ciccone. 2013. The effects of pre versus post workout supplementation of creatine monohydrate on body composition and strength. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/36

For those who can't access the study, or don't use the time for that, here's some notes:
- 19 recreational bodybuilders, around 14-18% BF, 80kg weight.
- 4 week Hypertrophy bodypart program, 5-split. Lots of variety on exercise selection
- No food restrictions or control. One random food log day was assigned
- 5g of creatine either pre- or post-workout. Off-day creatine intake was not regulated!

Average Results (lots of variety though):
- PoWO had Bigger Bench Press 1RM increase (only around 1-2kg difference)
- Fat free mass increased 1kg more in PoWO
- PoWo decreased BF% almost 2%, PreWO really didn't

I think this is fairly interesting. But at the same time the study isn't all that awesome. First of all, no nutritional control or even creatine control on off-days. (Creatine was used at the subjects convenience) The random 1d food logs show that while there was no scientific significance, there was still an average 150kcal difference in total intake, and 40g difference in carbs. In both, post workout group consumed more. Also, there's no record of nutrient timing, which we all know can make a world of difference.
The group wasn't too huge, but it was alrigth. These recreational bodybuilders were pretty buffed, hanging around with 18% BF at most. It would be interesting to see if there's any difference in lower BF's, like 10-15%.

Also I think it's unclear if the increase in fat free mass was muscle or something else, like water. Maybe post-workout supplementation of creatine will draw more water to muscles. Who knows. We still need way more research on this topic.

What do you think?

Exrx Employee of The Month

Okay Dub! Nice find.

And you went beyond the call of duty, dumbing it down for us.

I know September isn't over yet but you get the Employee of the Month award!

David Barr

Barr stated that research indicated post workout creatine was a bit more effective in his 2005 "Creatine Controversy" article.

Barr also stated one method that allowed athletes to ingest creatine year round rather than cycling was to simply ingest it after your workout.

On you off days, don't take creatine.

Ingesting it on workout days and not taking creatine on off days is just another cycling method.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject: Re: Creatine timing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:03 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Cheers Kenny! We've talked about that Barr method before too. I still remain very sceptical with off-day creatine intake. There are so many different opinions about this issue, ranging from 2-5g a day no matter what to 5g per on-day. And even some superloading claims of constantly ingesting more than 10g a day, which I don't see reasonable. Yet I haven't really found too much research around the off-day vs. every day set-up. At the moment I'm still taking 5g a day. If I want more out of it, I load for a couple of weeks with higher doses. I could try if 5g per training day will have the same effects as 5g a day.