ExRx.net
http://exrx.net/forum/

Vitamins
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9392
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Kirkland [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Vitamins

Hi new member here. I have never really taken any vitamins. I am a collegiate wrestler and have one year of eligibility left. I would like to make sure I can do everything possible to give me the best shot next year. Anyways vitamins have always been recommended to me and I thought it was a waste of time but I'm willing to give it a shot over the summer to try it out. I do not need to gain much weight but it wouldn't hurt. I don't know which vitamins to take though since there are so many kinds out there. Which brands are the best price for what I am actually getting and what are the best types of vitamins to take for performance and well-being? Thanks for any help..

Author:  Dub [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

Eat lots of fruits, veggies and meat (and fish for vitamin D). All the vitamins needed will come around. I don't think there's a need for supplements. If your vitamin supplementation is the biggest worry of your reason, you're doing great.

Author:  Jungledoc [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

I think your original assessment was correct. Vit supps are mostly a waste of time--if you eat well, you are getting what you need. But if you're worried, and if taking a supplement would ease your worry, then any standard brand multi vit would be fine.

Author:  Ironman [ Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

It's not really going to help with what you want. It's good for general health though. Just don't go for the most popular expensive brands as that's a waste of money, and don't get the cheap stuff as the absorption is poor. Anything else should be fine. You just need the one multi a day, and it's just to ensure you get the optimal amount of every nutrient, everyday. Most of it you get from food, but this helps with the days you don't get much variety in your diet. All those mega doses of vitamins don't do anything.

An extra vitamin D supplement is good for your immune system, with peer reviewed studies showing very significant improvement. You need the more expensive one though; the D3 from the natural source. Synthetic doesn't work as well, and it needs to be the D3 rather than D4.

Fish oil is another good one.

That's about it though, you really get the majority of what you need from food.

If you really want to add some strength, try some creatine. You should get the monohydrate micronised crystals. Or I suppose you could just eat a pound of steak of every night. The supplement is probably easier though. :smile:

Author:  aaron123kaif [ Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

tell me something more about vitamins!!

Author:  KenDowns [ Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

Ironman wrote:
Or I suppose you could just eat a pound of steak of every night. The supplement is probably easier though. :smile:


I'm willing to make the effort for the steak.

Author:  Kenny Croxdale [ Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

RosettaWood wrote:
Hi,
Vegetable and fruits are the best sources of vitamins. And if you are really want to give it a try of taking vitamin supplements, it is better for you to consult a doctor and ask for prescriptions, since they will know what you may lacking with their tests.
-Rosetta


Doctors

Before I start my rant, let me state that I realize Jungledoc is one of the smarter physicians in the game.

Okay, here we go.

Doctors can't have no clue about nutrition. The majority of them can spell V-i-t-a-m-i-n.

Disease NOT Nutrition

Doctors are trained in how to deal with disease, NOT nutrition. At the most, they have 6 hours of nutrition in college.

Many of the individuals on this board have more knowledge in nutrition that a medical doctor.

Registered Dietician

Registered Dieticians are the ONLY one who can legally "Prescribe" a diet, ie vitamins.

Prescription Vitamins

The idea of this is nuts for a normal, healthy individual.

Analogy

Having a doctor prescribe vitamins amounts to having an electrician do your plumbing.

Take Home Message

It real simple. If you have nutrition questions, go to a Nurtitionist!!!

Kenny Croxdale

Author:  stuward [ Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

Perhaps the comment about prescriptions was about mega-vitamin therapy, where large does are administered to address specific conditions. This is outside mainstream medicine, outside normal nutrition, often doesn't work and can be dangerous but many people self administer mega-vitamins.

Author:  Petrov [ Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

Ironman wrote:
It's not really going to help with what you want. It's good for general health though. Just don't go for the most popular expensive brands as that's a waste of money, and don't get the cheap stuff as the absorption is poor. Anything else should be fine. You just need the one multi a day, and it's just to ensure you get the optimal amount of every nutrient, everyday. Most of it you get from food, but this helps with the days you don't get much variety in your diet. All those mega doses of vitamins don't do anything.

An extra vitamin D supplement is good for your immune system, with peer reviewed studies showing very significant improvement. You need the more expensive one though; the D3 from the natural source. Synthetic doesn't work as well, and it needs to be the D3 rather than D4.

Fish oil is another good one.

That's about it though, you really get the majority of what you need from food.

If you really want to add some strength, try some creatine. You should get the monohydrate micronised crystals. Or I suppose you could just eat a pound of steak of every night. The supplement is probably easier though. :smile:



Well, we get Vitamin D from the sun so i don't understand your point. However I'm woundering why he need Vitamins what is he deficiency and also he don't know what kind vitimin he need water soluble vitamins or fat soluble vitamins so lets just start from there. I think the guy who bring the food into this post is on the right way but SINCE I'M NOT Certified Dietitian I CAN NOT TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO EAT I'M STAY ONLY IN MY SCOPE OF PRACTICE PERSONAL TRAINER.
IF ANYBODY GOT ANY QUESTION FEEL FREE TO ASK ME HERE

sorry for my english im from other country!

Author:  Ironman [ Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

We don't get all that much sun. Vitamin D is even added to milk. The point is that the evidence shows it's effective. That's why those are listed as exceptions to my first statement that it isn't going to help in the way he's thinking. It doesn't matter what kind of vitamins it is, you're not going to get a performance boost from it.

Author:  stuward [ Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

Yes, the problem with vitamn D is that people live at latitudes different than their ancestors evolved in and then spend more time indoors, so overall they don't get nearly enough sun as they should.

Author:  jackparker [ Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

Vitamins are essential for our body and they are divided into two types first is fat soluble and the other one is water soluble. Vitamins that are fat soluble they are present inside our body and these vitamin have some specific purpose some are used for strength and some for muscle building etc. by consulting a doctor or fitness expert you can take the vitamins according to your body requirement.

Author:  Kenny Croxdale [ Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

jackparker wrote:
Vitamins are essential for our body and they are divided into two types first is fat soluble and the other one is water soluble. Vitamins that are fat soluble they are present inside our body and these vitamin have some specific purpose some are used for strength and some for muscle building etc. by consulting a doctor or fitness expert you can take the vitamins according to your body requirement.


Consulting

A nutritionist is the person you need to consult with. The majority of medical doctors are clueless when it comes to nutrition.

A "Fitness Expert" I another gamble. They may have some knowledge but it no where near a nutritionist.

Kenny Croxdale

Author:  Jungledoc [ Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vitamins

Any good nutritionist, as well as any really good doctor as well as any true fitness expert will tell you the same thing. If you ain't sick with a documented vitamin deficiency disease, don't wast your money. Eat real food.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/