ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:06 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Excuse me if this is too simple-minded or too complex.

It looks as if there are a few people who asked others to rate their meal plans.

How about some suggestions for a 2400 calorie meal plan without exceeding the recommended daily limits of
sugar - max 36gm/day
salt - max 1300mg/day
fat - 65gm/day
protein - 40gm/meal

I looked up these limits from various websites. I'm sure the limit on fat and protein may be subject to some interpretation. For example, how much time lapse between eating would be considered a new meal? In North America our biggest meal is usually supper. I've heard that it could be better to eat steadily all day with the largest at lunch and the smallest at supper.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:15 pm 

Those maximums are all debatable.

The sugar max is totally arbitrary and has no clinical basis. If you eat whole foods, your sugar will be less than that anyway.

1300mg of salt is far too low. Too much may not be healthy for some people but going too low can be even worse, even fatal. Again, if you eat whole, unprocessed foods, go by taste.

Fat is a necessary nutrient that also can be used for energy. I would consider 65 to be a minimum, not a maximum.

Also for protein, you can often use more than minimum levels of protein. It's used for muscle building and the exercising population needs more than the average couch potato.

If you followed those rules, you would be eating mostly starch and likely would get diabetes and become obese. Sort of like the average North American. If you want to be better than average, throw out the guidelines.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley