ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:10 pm 
former lurker

I am a 32 yr old male.
5.7 193lbs with 12.7 % body fat.
My goal is to shred my fat. I have been following this routine for about a month and have lost weight (9lbs)but I am not sure how much of it is muscle or fat.
work is as follows: day 1, 3, and 5 I do The insanity workout. day 2,4,and 6 I train a speciffic body part.day 2, chest, day 4 back, day 6 biceps and shoulders. after weight day i do a very intense mile or mile and a half on the treadmill.
My meal plan.
breakfast 6am: 6 eggs(only 1 yolk) 2 packets of original plain oatmeal(38 grms of carbs) 6 strawberries, and a glass of skim milk
snack 930 am: either cup and a half no fat cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt.both mixed with a hand full of reduced sugar ocean spray cranberries, and 1/8 cup of grapenuts cereal.
lunch-noon. leftovers from dinner plus sweet potato
snack(pre workout 3:00) 36gms gnc brand whey protien powder, 5 grms plain creatine, and 5 grms glutamine
post workourt(430ish) same as pre but with a banana added
dinner. varies but it always is either chicken breast, turkey breast, lean pork, or salmon. the veggy varies
after dinner i dont eat food but drink.usually white wine which I know is high in carbs, but good god i eat clean enough, I need some vice.
Any input would really be appreciated!! Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The white wine isn't all that high in carbs. Sweet doesn't always indicate that, although usually it does. If you aren't training legs, then it isn't for a contest, so no deadline, and not that much left to go. So in that case just keep going as you are. You should probably train legs though. Because if your stats are right, and you have untrained legs, your upper body has got to be huge. That plus little chicken legs is going to look pretty silly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 am 

White wine typically only has about 3g of carbs per glass. Most of the calories come from alcohol. As long as you keep input reasonable, like 1 or 2 glasses, then don't worry about it. If you're drinking to the point of getting drunk, or if you "have" to drink, then you should consider what the alcohol is doing to your health. It's far worse than a few carbs, especially since the rest of your diet is high carb.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Ironman wrote:
The white wine isn't all that high in carbs. Sweet doesn't always indicate that, although usually it does. If you aren't training legs, then it isn't for a contest, so no deadline, and not that much left to go. So in that case just keep going as you are. You should probably train legs though. Because if your stats are right, and you have untrained legs, your upper body has got to be huge. That plus little chicken legs is going to look pretty silly.
yes agreed with him white wine doesn't have the issue you if you increase your activity level more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:32 am 
former lurker

I have followed much of Tinman's training for many years. As I am a masters runner, I am always looking for little "advantages" here and there to help me keep up with my younger competitors. No PEDS or anything, but rather supplements. I currently take a multivitamin, but have recently read much about the benefits of beta-alanine for endurance athletes. I know that it is big in the body building community. Does anyone have any experience with this supplement or any others?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

keharris wrote:
I am a 32 yr old male.
5.7 193lbs with 12.7 % body fat.

Body Fat Percentage

How did you come up with this number?

Quote:
My goal is to shred my fat. I have been following this routine for about a month and have lost weight (9lbs)but I am not sure how much of it is muscle or fat.

Calories

Losing or gaining weight is all about calories. Evidently, you dramatically decreased you caloric intake.

Quote:
work is as follows: day 1, 3, and 5 I do The insanity workout.

Insanity Workout

This is a Metabolic Workout. It elevates your metabolism long after the workout is over; you continue to burn more calories.

Quote:
day 2,4,and 6 I train a speciffic body part.day 2, chest, day 4 back, day 6 biceps and shoulders. after weight day i do a very intense mile or mile and a half on the treadmill.

Negate Strength Training

The momentum you gain with your Strength Training Program is negated via your running afterward.

mTOR (Mammalian Target of Rapamycin) is an Anabolic Trigger, preserving and increasing muscle mass. It is triggered by Strength Training and Protein Intake (30 to 40 gram of quality protein ingested at one time).

mTOR remains elevated for approximately three hours after training.

AMP-K (Activated Protein Kinase) shut down the anabolic muscle building process. It is triggered with Endurance Training. Thus, your running after resistance training negates the training effect of your Strength Training Program that preceded it.

AMP-K is activated for approximately and hour after Endurance Training.

Solutions

Don't perform you running after resistance training.

1) Do NOT Training it at all on your resistance training day.

Exercise assist in weight loss. However, the key to weight loss is calories. Thus, running after resistance training isn't going to do a lot for your weight loss; especially since you are performing Insanity.

2) Separate your resistance and running on the same day. Perform your running in the morning and resistance in the evening or vise versa.

3) Perform your running first in your training session followed by your resistance training. Doing so allows AMP-K to subside and mTOR to be elevated.

Quote:
My meal plan.
breakfast 6am: 6 eggs(only 1 yolk)

Egg Yoke Deletion

You're throwing away the best part of the egg, which makes no sense. Fifty percent of the protein is in the yoke and all of the nutrients.

All throwing the egg yoke away does is decrease calories. If that is your objective, cut something else out.

Quote:
snack(pre workout 3:00) 36gms gnc brand whey protien powder, 5 grms plain creatine, and 5 grms glutamine
post workourt(430ish) same as pre but with a banana added
[/quote]

Pre Workout Snack

They are unnecessary. You are consuming calories you don't need.

Refractory Feeding

Research (Dr Lane Norton, PhD Nutrition, Powerlifter, Bodybuilder) found the body can only absorb and use protein when food is consumed every four to five hours.

Consuming lunch at 12 noon then you pre workout snack three hours after lunch does nothing to enhance Muscle Protein Synthesis.

Muscle Protein Synthesis is like a sponge. The sponge absorbs more when it is dry and nothing when the sponge is soaked with water.

Only when the sponge dries out is it able to absorb more water; the same occurs with Muscle Protein Synthesis.

The Problem With Between Meals Snacks

Consuming smaller more frequent meals does NOT increase your metabolism; it is actually detrimental to the fat burning process.

Food consumption between meals increases insulin in the body. Insulin BLOCKS the fat burning hormones.

Post Workout Snack

Research (Dr Brad Shoenfeld) had demonstrated that Post Workout Beverages or Meals do nothing in regard to promoting increasing muscle mass.

What counts is what you consume throughout the day.

dinner. varies but it always is either chicken breast, turkey breast, lean pork, or salmon. the veggy varies
after dinner i dont eat food but drink.usually white wine which I know is high in carbs, but good god i eat clean enough, I need some vice

Low Fat Diet

Consuming low fat lean meats ensure a decrease in calorie intake. However, in doing so, you are missing nutrients.

Also, fats (specifically some saturated fats) are necessary for hormonal production, like testosterone. Do you really want to stiffel testosterone production?

A cursory reading of your diet demonstrates it a Low Fat Diet.

Eating Clean

This is an outdated, ambiguous term from the 20th century which defined "Eating Clean" as Low Fat.

The 21st Century research has demonstrated that fat is Essential for heath. It is not the villain it has been portrayed to be.

However, old myth die hard and continue to be perpetuated.

Drinking Wine

Calories are the key to weight loss. That means ANY diet that decreases calories is an effective weight loss program.

With that said, drinking wine is okay as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

A great example of this is...

The Twinkie Diet
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... index.html

This college Nutritionist lost 27 lbs by only consuming Twinkies and other junk food while decreasing his calories.

His blood lipid profile improved on junk food, which was unexpected.

Thus, a little wine or junk food is okay as long you remain in a calorie deficit.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:57 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

fenney wrote:
I am a masters runner, I am always looking for little "advantages" here and there to help me keep up with my younger competitors.

Glucose and Distance Runners

As you know, distance runners (athletes) can "Bonk", running out of glucose in long distance events.

The reason for that is the majority of endurance athletes are glucose dependent, reliant on glucose for fuel. Their glucose dependence is due their high carbohydrates diet.

Endurance athletes are unable to optimize their greatest fuel source (fat) effectively.

Solutions To The Glucose Dependency Issue

1) Ketogenic Diet: High Fat (65% plus), Moderate Protein (25% at the most) and a definitive 50 gram or less of Carbohydrates a day, switches body's dominate use of glucose to ketones (fractured fats).

In other word, you become a fat burner rather that a glucose burner.

Glucose Storage

At most, the body stores up to 500 gram of glucose in the body. That amounts to 2,000 kcals of energy.

Fat Storage

Let's say you weight 160 lbs with 10% body fat.

That would mean you have 16 lbs of body fat stored for energy.

Doing The Math

A pound of fat contains 3500 kcals.

16 lbs of Fat X 3500 kcals per pound of Fat = 56,000 kcals of energy.

Fat For Fuel

Based on that scenario, you have 28 time more fat fuel that glucose.

Another way of putting it you have 54,000 more fat fuel calories than glucose fuel calories.

So, the question is, "Why not access your ketone/fat fuel and preserve you glucose for as long as possible?"

Personal Comment on The Ketogenic Diet

I have been on the Ketogenic Diet for about a year and a half due to a metatolic condition.

I really like and enjoy the diet. It took about 6 weeks to adapt to it.

However, I do not recommend it for most individuals.

It is a very restrictive, demanding diet. That harder you make something to follow the greater the drop out and less retention you have with a program.

Another alternative is...

2) Intermittent Fasting

This involves not consuming any food for 12 hours or longer, water is fine.

The beauty of Intermittent Fasting is the there nothing to fix. You simply skip a meal every now and then, which we all have done.

One of the benefits of Intermittent Fasting is...

"Metabolic Flexibility"

What this means is the body becomes more efficient at utilizing body fat and preserving glucose until it is needed.

Quote:
No PEDS or anything, but rather supplements. I currently take a multivitamin, but have recently read much about the benefits of beta-alanine for endurance athletes. I know that it is big in the body building community. Does anyone have any experience with this supplement or any others?

Beta-Alanine

I've use it for strength training. I have not noticed any difference.

Try it and see how it work for you.

With that said, one of the best supplements is...

Caffeine

Research show it to be effective for aerobic and anaerobic sports.

Caffeine is the foundation of Thermogenic Supplements; it elicits 80% of the effects.

You can purchase a bottle of caffeine tablets for around $10.,

Another option is just have a cup of coffee.

Kenny Croxdale