ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:10 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello,

I'd like to know if you have any tips on using unflavoured oat flour as carbohydrate supplement. I am trying to use it mixed with water, however the taste is kind of difficult to bear in large quantities (I'd like to make it my main carbohydrate diet source, since I've read about its benefits over simple carbs, however if there's anything I'm missing please let me know).

Maybe I'd cook it to make bread, however I am afraid that leavening may convert most of those sought-after complex carbs into simpler ones, defeating its purpose of long-lasting carbs etc.

Thank you

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:37 am 

In my opinion, oat flour may have value as a post workout carb that you can mix into your post workout shake but otherwise it's no more useful than wheat flour unless you're celiac. The "complex" carb is just starch. That breaks down to glucose in your moth so there is no real difference from eating corn sugar and is no more long-lasting. However, rolled oats are different because the starch is still in the cellular structure of the original grain. That makes it much different than flour. Flour of any kind should be considered a processed food with all that is implied by that term. The leavening is of trivial importance to the processing.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
In my opinion, oat flour may have value as a post workout carb that you can mix into your post workout shake but otherwise it's no more useful than wheat flour unless you're celiac. The "complex" carb is just starch. That breaks down to glucose in your moth so there is no real difference from eating corn sugar and is no more long-lasting. However, rolled oats are different because the starch is still in the cellular structure of the original grain. That makes it much different than flour. Flour of any kind should be considered a processed food with all that is implied by that term. The leavening is of trivial importance to the processing.

I see, did never consider this and I admit it was a really great tip, thank you.
I have no health issues so I can consider other foods too, though I'd like to lead a healthy diet to at least compensate my indulgence in sweets.

Since my diet (and store-bought food in my part of the world) is quite rich of processed and simple carbohydrates, would you recommend using rolled oats as my main complex carbs source (with simple carbs coming from other food sources) or is there something better I should look for?

Would using rolled oats in bread leavening (and cooking them incorporated into bread dough) make them inferior to eating them straight away? Or are there other processes/mixes I'd use to make them palatable?
I don't think to be squeamish since I drink unflavoured whey shakes (which some people consider unpalatable), but if there is something that makes it easier to eat complex carbs which I'm not aware of, I'd like to know it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 pm 

Oats are fine. So are rice, and root vegetables. You can bake with oats but I'm not one to ask.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley