ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:36 pm 
Sometimes I do it and other times I hesitate and stop. This has been happening for 3 years and i'd like to move on. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

All I know about my personal history and falls is I was flipping in my Grandfather's hands at about age 6 and fell, got stunned and they lost me for a fraction of a second. Could I have put this in my unconscience and if so how do I work out of it?

I love gymnastics, but I will have to give it up if I can't get through this.

Help Please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It's natural. I learned BHS at 20 and had a lot of fear with it. You need to keep doing them a lot and doing them with spots. Don't put so much pressure on yourself and just keep doing them every day. Sit down with your coach before or after practice (tell him ahead of time, you want a minute to talk privately). Explain your concern to master the fear and ask him/her to help you with a long term plan.

Good luck, you can do it!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 am 
former lurker

In a recent issue of Rowing News, Mount Holyoke College coach Jeanne Friedman outlined a few techniques she uses to help her rowing athletes break through perceived mental barriers. Her techniques are applicable to all athletes:

Affirmations
Tell yourself you can. You are your own worst nightmare. Most of the physical barriers you'll come up against are the result of your mind telling you that you can't do something. When you begin to make those negative comments to yourself, you have to learn to replace it with the positive.

Deliberate Yoga
Mimic your back hand spring. Friedman has her athletes perform yoga moves that simulate sport specific techniques to enforce muscle memory. This method allows athletes to feel what should be happening and helps them to visualize the technique. It's a way of building neurological pathways for the muscles to operate and flow in a particular motion.

Focus
Eliminate all distractions. You can't let your mind worry about past success with your back hand spring. Believe in your practice and believe in your skills. You need to be in the present and let your yourself perform.

Visualization
Visualization is the most common form of mental training for athletes. Friedman suggests her rowers imagine themselves rowing the perfect stroke. Close your eyes and see yourself performing the perfect back hand spring.