ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new fear
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:32 am 
former lurker

I have a 10 year old daughter who lately has developed fear of new skills in springboard and platform diving. If asked why she's afraid and what 's wrong she only answers " I don't know" or stomps off in a huff. Is there a way to help her work through this. This is her 3rd full year as a diver and up to now all indications were that she loved it above all else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: new fear
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't know anything about diving but I'm of the opinion that early specialization in childhood sports may be detrimental in some cases. It may be your daughter is subconsciously saying that she wants to do something else.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 172601.htm

Maybe trying another sport for a while might help.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:54 am 
former lurker

yeah I get that. However, this is not the 1st sport or activity she has tried, mostly the one she really loved above all else up until this block she seems to have hit. She also participates in some school team sports and and dance. It's not about her specializing it's more how to face her fears and how to help her cope with it, without the first inclination being when the it gets tough just quit. We are more of the mind of helping her learn to cope with the stress things like this bring and how, if possible to work through it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did she have a bad dive where she got hurt? Or maybe had a fall somewhere else? Experience tends to do that with kids from what I've noticed. If she doesn't know I would think it was something like that. Or does she get along with everyone where the diving is taking place? I've noticed kids avoiding things for those kinds of reasons as well. That's about all I can think of.