ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ways to get out of Bed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:21 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I’m a natural night person who really wants to make a more consistant change to the morning training. So, I’ve tried putting the loud, back up alarm clock down stairs; thus, I have to make the trip…and I’ve walked back up and gone back to bed.

I thought of another idea today after sleeping in again: Set a transaction up in my brokerage account that will be triggered when the market opens. Something hideous, like buy 50 out of the money calls; whatever, so I have to get up and log on and spend some time to cancel the order. After sometime awake, like this morning, I feel “ready to train”; it’s just the first few minutes that are tough.

Any tricks, ideas, you all do to get you going in the morning?

Fwiw, even if I get to bed by 11:00pm, this is a problem. However, I have not consistently tried to go to bed and awake at a regular time to ensure 8 hours sleep, so, often, I may be catching up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

you have to train yourself to be a morning person. plan to be out of bed by say 9:00 am if thats early for you. then once you have set yourself a bed time ( 10:00 p m ) stick to it, and slowly reduce your wake up time by 1/2 hour incriments until you wake up at a descent hour. eventually your body will get used to waking up that early.

or sometimes, shock your body. get up at super early. get out of bed, and just close your eyes with some music playing and the lights on. then get into the shower and hang out for a bit. once out continue on with your day.

or when you wake up turn on the lights.

or have someone come help you get up. or set your alarm clock for various times of the night

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:12 am 

Get up at the same time, every day, that includes Saturday and Sunday. You'll eventually get to where you don't need an alarm.

9 AM, really?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:25 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I just saw this and think it is quite an interesting topic. I am of the belief that people are born with a natural rhythm. Take me for example, I am a morning person and have always been that way so I do my best work from 5 am until about 11 am then it is downhill form there. I go to bed at about 8 pm every day and am up at 4:30 or 5 am every day.

I would ask the question; why do you want to change your natural rhythm? That would be like asking me to work out at 9 pm. I would have a hard time no matter how much I tried and I don't think I would see the same benefit from my workout.

Oscar if I were you I would listen too my body and work with the natural flow.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:34 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I Agree waking the same time everyday works well, espciecially to train yourself to feel tired around the same trime each night and get even rest. But, I dont' want to do that because some nights I want to stay up later and still have adequate rest. I have stayed up over 24 hours several times in the last 5 yrs, it's not that I'm lazy, or need a bunch of sleep.

As far as why I want to move to the morning more often, would be because training in the garage gets pretty hot after 9:00 am much of the year here. Right now, it's not bad and I'm slipping back to nights, mostly. But, will want early morning training again. Also, eventually, if have kids and even now, life often dictates a shift to earlier schedule to accomodate everyone else.

Its not a big deal Just wondering if there were tricks, suited for someone who is waking up differnt times some days, to help motivation. I still need to apply my thought above. for now, I've jsut made it up by doing something at night. For now, only mon day is early training day

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:54 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think that the main trick is to get enough sleep.

Or do what I did, have kids!

I cannot seem to exercise in the mornings though. I try running and it seems my body just does not want to respond to my demands. In the evening I seem to be a bit looser.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:13 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

A few thoughts.

I've had very variable habits in my life, including shifts to a total night-only schedule in college, my current pretty regular 8 hour night, and everything in between.

The number one trick, for me, is to get to bed at a regular time no matter what, even if it means I'm staring at the ceiling. That is the only thing that gets me enough sleep and leaves me alert during the day.

As for workout time, anything but first thing in the morning or last thing after dinner seems to work.

Finally, if you say you may have children some day, the normal activity required to produce them is known to induce sleep in men. Get to work!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:03 pm 

Hi dude, there are some tricks you should use:

Trick 1: Food clock. Google it, I'll try to explain. If you don't eat for 16-18 hours, and then you take something, next day you'll wake up exactly at the time you ate that thing. Example: don't eat after 15:00 and wake up with alarm at 7:00 and immediately eat something, tomorrow you won't have to use alarm, I tried it, and it works.

Trick 2: Cycles. We sleep in some cycles that last for 1,5 hour. If you wake up at the end of one, you'll get up easily. This works, too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:43 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Stefan 93 wrote:
Hi dude, there are some tricks you should use:

Trick 1: Food clock. Google it, I'll try to explain. If you don't eat for 16-18 hours, and then you take something, next day you'll wake up exactly at the time you ate that thing. Example: don't eat after 15:00 and wake up with alarm at 7:00 and immediately eat something, tomorrow you won't have to use alarm, I tried it, and it works.

Trick 2: Cycles. We sleep in some cycles that last for 1,5 hour. If you wake up at the end of one, you'll get up easily. This works, too.

Firstly, hello, and why are you resurecting this?

Trick 1: Sounds nutty, especially if you say it works after one time
Trick 2: I have also had success with this one. For example, I'll feel more rested after 3 hours sleep, than 5. I think 6 or 7.5 is best, once in while 9, and maybe 12 if I'm really pooped. Even after 1.5 can be surprisingly adequate in a pinch

Thank you for sharing.

I'd say fixing my lack of sleep/wake discipline would be a key indication that I'm serious about achieiving my "goals"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:44 pm 

Hello, because everyone has this problem, I don't know almost anyone who can wake up early.
Trick 1: I was amazed, too. What was strange is that I woke up next day at the time I took my first bite and not at the time I finished that meal (after 20 minutes), so it is really precise. But I haven't eaten for 33 hours (1 day plus sleeping) so I don't know for how many hours you must starve.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 am 

So your individual experience applies to the whole world? Your personal experiment on 1 person proves a general principle? Why, oh why do all those silly scientific researchers bother to do their studies on hundreds of subjects, when really they'd only have to do them on you?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 am 

I have the same problem. I can have 7 - 8 hours during the week compared to weekends but haaaattte getting up for work. Weekends I go to bed like 3 or 4 and if anything have less sleep but fine getting up. I just hate mornings so much. I'll be tired all morning and slowly get better throughout the day. Get home and train, eat then 11 comes and i'm wide awake and have to make myself sleep because of how tired I'll be in the morning. When I was at uni and had no real routine, I'd often go to bed at 6am with out even realising.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm 

Nevage wrote:
When I was at uni and had no real routine...

No classes?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:30 am 

babysit overnight someone's < 4 year old child.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:42 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Nevage wrote:
When I was at uni and had no real routine...

No classes?

I didn't have many morning lectures, they were normally around lunchtime. I used to have one day that was a full day and that ruined me after 6 days of going to bed the time I should be getting up!