ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I remember trying a trick for getting up which in theory I thought was very clever. I was certain it would work. It never.

I think it would for some. If you're very sensitive to caffeine i think it'll work a treat. Problem is, most night-owl types are very tolerant to caffeine (in my case, far too tolerant).

Anyway, here it is....

If you normally set your alarm for, say, 6:30am, then try setting it between 30-60 minutes earlier. Right beside your bed, already have a glass of water and a couple of caffeine pills (i used "pro plus"). So when the earlier alarm goes off, hit snooze and take a couple of caffeine pills, then go back to sleep.

I expected to bounce out of bed. Never happened. I even upped to the dose, eventually getting to 4 caffeine pills. Then I thought I was being ridiculous and stopped, opting to try and get to bed consistently earlier instead.

In short, this is my genius idea that never worked. I'm sure it will be just as little use to anyone else as it was for me.

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 pm 
former lurker

hoosegow wrote:
Get up at the same time, every day, that includes Saturday and Sunday. You'll eventually get to where you don't need an alarm.

9 AM, really?

I agree. Be consistent. Even if you do not have anything important to do that day, wake up at the same time EVERYDAY. Until your body clock gets used to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:57 am 

That idea sounded like you were onto something! Went to bed at 3am last night, getting up this morning was so painful. Why do evenings go so much faster than days? Why is there so much to do at night which puts me off sleeping? I like night times.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:21 am 

Nevage wrote:
That idea sounded like you were onto something! Went to bed at 3am last night, getting up this morning was so painful. Why do evenings go so much faster than days? Why is there so much to do at night which puts me off sleeping? I like night times.

I'm the exact same as you. I will literally do NOTHING all day then try and cram a full day into the evening hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 am 

I'm the same. It's like my days are back to front. I'm at my peak concentration levels, most creative and most productive between 12-2am. Have been like this for as long as I can remember. I need to be up early, though, I would just rather not drag myself out of bed. I want to do the whole "when the alarm sounds, get your feet on the floor", thing. It's more like, "when the alarm sounds, grumble and stumble out of bed whilst your brain remains asleep until your first double dose of caffeine for the day. At this point you may be functional enough to drive to work".

Next thing I know it's 11pm again, and I need food and some down time. The last few years have felt like a few months.

No girlfriend has ever been able to put up with me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:53 am 

KPj wrote:
I'm the same. It's like my days are back to front. I'm at my peak concentration levels, most creative and most productive between 12-2am. Have been like this for as long as I can remember. I need to be up early, though, I would just rather not drag myself out of bed. I want to do the whole "when the alarm sounds, get your feet on the floor", thing. It's more like, "when the alarm sounds, grumble and stumble out of bed whilst your brain remains asleep until your first double dose of caffeine for the day. At this point you may be functional enough to drive to work".

Next thing I know it's 11pm again, and I need food and some down time. The last few years have felt like a few months.

No girlfriend has ever been able to put up with me.

you could try chest-eze instead of caffeine pills, they're loaded with ephedrine.

I hear you on the girlfriend thing. My mrs works in a B&B so she starts work at like 6 in the morning, and goes to bed at 9. 9 is when I start to properly wake up!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 pm 

hmmm there's an idea. Might try it just for research purposes.

I've decided I don't have time for a g/f. I watched "carlitos way" a few months ago and a dancer in his club asked him why a guy like him didn't have a girl, and he said, "i'm a workaholic". I had a light-bulb moment.

I'm now going to be like George Clooney and just date a string of hollywood beauties for long enough to have a great time but short enough to avoid the crap.

As you can tell I have everything pretty much worked out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:14 pm 

so things with the dancer didn't work out? Sorry to hear that.

Just work hard and become a millionaire. Millionaires are never lonely

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:27 pm 

robertscott wrote:
so things with the dancer didn't work out? Sorry to hear that.

Just work hard and become a millionaire. Millionaires are never lonely

Nah, it's no problem, but thanks anyway. I had to end it - I'm a workaholic! I'm also not into the whole marriage/kids thing and she was so it wasn't really fair. Still friends-ish.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 pm 

I'm the opposite - I'm so workshy I need a girl!

I was squatting with Megan the other day at the gym and after her top set she was like "damn I hate Kenny"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 am 

I'm there right now. It's 11:30 pm, and I know I need to go to bed. But I feel like I just haven't had enough weekend. It's been a pretty awful weekend in lots of ways. I'll go ahead and bite the bullet in a few minutes, much as I'd rather not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

There's an app called 'Sleep cycles' available at the App store and probably Android, it explains how it works properly on the app but I'll some up.

We have different kinds of sleep happening unnoticeable to us while we sleep, however waking up in the wrong periods, (REM periods I think) means its harder to get up, whereas other periods are better. So if you wanted to be up by 9am, you set the alarm for 9am and it will wake you up when it thinks best between an adjust gap, I use 30minutes, so between 8.30 - 9. I thought it worked, might just be tricking the mind, who knows.

I sleep with the curtain/blind open now works wonders, waking up to natural light, fully open if I'm up at sun rise, less open the further away from sun rise, also with a normal alarm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:20 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
So your individual experience applies to the whole world? Your personal experiment on 1 person proves a general principle? Why, oh why do all those silly scientific researchers bother to do their studies on hundreds of subjects, when really they'd only have to do them on you?

No. For those that are interested in that what I said, I've put the name that is given to this phenomenon: Food Clock. If somebody wanted to find out something about it, he could search for some info and he would find why it works and how THE SCIENTISTS found out this works.