ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Consistency training
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm 
former lurker

My goal was to power walk at 4.0 mph for 30 minutes (est. 2 miles) approximately 3-4 times a day. I worked to that goal within a month and a half. I've been consistent for 6 months total, but at the 5th month, I began to dip -- and it's even worse now. What can I say to myself or do to maintain the passion i once had for a novel workout? :con:

Post subject: Re: Consistency training
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like you are getting bored with it and maybe you need a change. Perhaps you could try something a little different. Maybe try 3 MPH while carrying a pair of 3 pound dumbbells, or try taking a different route, or ride a bike on trail. If you work out 3 times a week, maybe you could do one day of weight train, one day on a bike trail and another doing the walk? Or do you have access to a pool? Swimming might be a nice change of pace for a while.

Or it could just be as simple as downloading some different stuff on your IPOD to take with you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:17 am 

I agree with the ferrous gentleman. Doing the same thing for a half-hour would be mind-numbing for me. No way I could keep it up for 6 days, so I think you've done well to do it for 6 months. I don't think that there's anything you can say to yourself that will change that!

Plus, the things your body gains from walking aren't all that's involved in fitness. You need to use other muscles, move in different ways, and to gain strength.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 am 

My wife trains like that and enjoys it. I think she uses it as a means of collecting her thoughts and releiving stress. We live on a hill. Sometimes she'll walk up and down the hill about 10 times and she'll come in after an hour soaking wet from sweat, have a glass of water and a snack and go back out. It's a form of meditation for her. The bottom line is that if you're not getting something out of it that you consider valuable, you won't continue it and you probably shouldn't anyway.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley