ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:08 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey all,

I posted about two months ago asking about creating a routine, and with your advice I did so, basing it off of the 2 day push/pull split on the site. After about a month, I decided to simplify things, as I have no desire to compete or anything like that, and also to get more frequency of the "main" compound exercises. (as opposed to the twice/week on the push/pull).

So I switched to a simplified program, just doing Squat/Bench/DL/Push Press/Chins/rear delts/abs, with the progression for the compound exercises being complete 5 reps with no breakdown of form, next session go to 6, etc until you can do 8 reps with good form, and then go up 10% in weight.

Now I've had my current job since April, and with $h1t logistics and $h1t related to it I get 6-7 hours of sleep a worknight. I shockingly pretty much never noticed any effect when working out, and went months without a bad workout somehow ( I was running an advanced style, 4x/week with one of the main lifts the only focus on each day before the push/pull), but ever since I switched to 3x/wk having a bad workout is a weekly, if not twice weekly occurrence. I don't know if I just timed the new workout perfectly with the less than ideal recovery finally catching up to me, or doing each lift 3x/wk is too much for me in a weakened (or maybe even rested) state. My lifts are right around the very beginning of the advanced level using the Strength Standards chart.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that one often has to resort to more "advanced" style, less frequency etc workouts when your recovery is compromised? Even though I know I'm decently strong so I shouldn't be running starting strength or anything, I have heard that some schools of thought are basically you're just being mentally weak if you can't go heavy at least 3x/wk and you don't have a 4 plate squat, 300lb bench etc.

Also, how big of a factor is how you warmup your lifts with how you do? I've experimented with different styles for each workout: for the initial, advanced style one I was starting with 30% of my 1rm and doing 3 reps, and then moving up 10% of my 1rm until I got to within 10% of my workout weight for the day, switching to 2 reps at around 60% and then to maybe 1 if I was going for 85% or 90%. With the push/pull I was following the guidelines here of doing a set of 50% workout weight, and then maybe of 75% for squat, deadlift, and bench if I felt like I needed to (while using the workload calculator so 50% would only be like 25% of the workout weight if that on the bar), and with the current program I was doing SS-style aka the bar, then 5x40% of the workout weight, 3X60%, 2x80% etc.

Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you doing all the mentioned excercises each training session (3x/week)?

You always have to take care of three main factors: intensity (% of your 1RM or "rate of perceived exertion), volume (sets x reps or sets x reps x weight) and frequency (how often you train each week and how often you train each muscle each week).

The more you progress (from beginner to intermediate to advanced) the more you have to look after these and you can`t keep each of them high all the time... especially when stress (work, relationships...) come into play. (you can always look to improve your recovery: sleep and nutrition.)

It`s absolutely possible to train each musclegroup 3x/week (or more) but you have to reduce intensity and/or volume then. (look into HST for example or programs that have medium or volume, light and heavy days like Texas Method or Madcow 5x5) Another extreme would be to train each muscle once a week and go with more volume and/or a higher intensity... Today, science indicates that it is favourable for most to train each muscle no less than 2x/week (most of the time).

To summarize... the more advanced you are, the more you have think about managing your training and your recovery... even periodizing your training.

About the warm-up... the more you do, the more impact will be on your work-sets (or weight), too little will be a problem too, if you aren`t really prepared for your heavy work-sets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hey thanks for the reply!

Yes, I was doing all of those exercises in one training session, 3x/week. I think going back to only doing each lift 2x/week is the way to go, as on Wednesday I was supposed to do 320x5 in deadlift (after squatting earlier in the session) and when I bent down to do the work set, I could tell it wasn't going to happen so I didn't even try. Then on Friday, which is usually my worst day as all the lack of sleep catches up to me, I just did the session like I was doing less volume so that day was heavy DL day, so no squats, and I did 320x6 pretty easily.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes... an alternating Fullbody-Plan (ABA, BAB) could be a good solution... at least doing only Squats or Deadlifts each training session... Perhaps you could even do your normal, heavy Squats followed with a light deadlift-variation and vice versa on the other day, depending on your recovery.

Or you could go back to a push/pull or upper/lower split to reduce training stress as long as your job demands are that high.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:19 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:
Yes... an alternating Fullbody-Plan (ABA, BAB) could be a good solution... at least doing only Squats or Deadlifts each training session... Perhaps you could even do your normal, heavy Squats followed with a light deadlift-variation and vice versa on the other day, depending on your recovery.

Or you could go back to a push/pull or upper/lower split to reduce training stress as long as your job demands are that high.

Thanks again!

For now I'm doing a push/pull again, and it seems to be working out pretty well.

One question though, instead of following the guidelines of this site/how I did it before where the heavy days were 6-8reps and the lighter days were 10-12, I've been trying to do it so heavy= 5-6 reps and light= 7-8. Do you think that potentially this could backfire/be too taxing? Or is since the reps are greater than like 3 I probably don't have to worry about taxing my CNS?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Due to the late response... ;) You tried the 5-6 and 7-8 already, didn`t you? How did it work out?

Personally I would rather spread the range, following the guidelines of the site. Not necessarily because it taxes the CNS too much (too high volume could also be problematic for your recovery), but I want to take advantage from the broader range in training.

Keep in mind... the heavy days should be heavy, the light days should be light. If the light days aren`t light anymore the heavy days soon won`t be heavy anymore and you miss the mark.

... but after all... Only you can decide and experience, how this works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hey,

I've been doing the 5-6 and 7-8 thing for a few weeks and it seems to be going decent, but because when I switch up my routine I often like to lower the weight by like 10% or so to kind of "build up" back to my strength I had before I don't know if I've reached the level to be really affected by it. But the light days don't feel light, more of a mediumish thing compared to heavy, so maybe I'll go with the wider range again.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:31 am 
former lurker

Finally, you make it. Congratulation´╝ü