ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm 
former lurker

Hi everyone!

I am brand new to this site and I was hoping to get some insight as to how accurate ExRx's calculator is for determining your TDEE. There are so many calculators out there and it can be overwhelming figuring out which one is actually relatively close to what you really need. I am trying to help my wife determine her macros and the results that she got from ExRx's calculator was:

Height: 61 inches
Weight: 119 lbs

Resting: 6.5 hrs
Very Light: 13.5 hrs
Moderate: 4 hrs

BMR: 1313
Activity (calories): 1245
Total: 2558

She currently does HIIT cardio twice a day for 30 minute sessions followed by 15 minutes of accessory work. After work she comes with me for heavy weight lifting for about 2.5 hours. She is currently "cutting" and the calculator that she most recently used gave her a total caloric intake of 1,623, which I believe to be too low (unless I am wrong; please correct me if I am).

To see that her TDEE is 935 calories above what she is currently on is mind-numbing to say the least and quite honestly I am not entirely sure if both calculations are off.

I would truly appreciate any feedback that can be provided as we love this sport and want to progress at it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:20 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

LiftingLipton wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am brand new to this site and I was hoping to get some insight as to how accurate ExRx's calculator is for determining your TDEE. There are so many calculators out there and it can be overwhelming figuring out which one is actually relatively close to what you really need.

Which TDEE Calculator is Accurate?

None. That is the reason for the wide variances in the various TDEE Calculators readings.

Quote:
I am trying to help my wife determine her macros and the results that she got from ExRx's calculator was:

Macronutrients

Counting the number of gram of Carbohydrates, Protein, Fats and Daily Caloric Intake is fairly easy.

Quote:
She currently does HIIT cardio twice a day for 30 minute sessions followed by 15 minutes of accessory work. After work she comes with me for heavy weight lifting for about 2.5 hours.

"Stimulate and Recovery"

The purpose of any training program is to stimulate the body enough to elicit the optimal training response. Then provide enough rest for recovery for growth. Recover is where growth take place.

Too much training traumatizes the body; it leads to "Overtraining".

Her present program ensure that she will lose weight. She will lose body fat. She will also lose a greater percentage of muscle mass and strength with her current program.

With that said, precisely, "What is the reason for this program?"

Quote:
She is currently "cutting" and the calculator that she most recently used gave her a total caloric intake of 1,623, which I believe to be too low (unless I am wrong; please correct me if I am).

A More Practical Method

A weight/fat loss plan essentially amount going on a trip.

First, you need get a map and determine where you are.

Secondly, you then need to find you destination on the map and plot your course.

The most effective method for that is the...

Three Day Recall

1) Count calories for three days.

2) Then divide the Three Day Total Caloric Intake by Three (3).

This provide you with the "Average Daily Caloric Intake".

The Three Day Recall Diet provides you with pin point results and allows you to make corrections.

A good parallel analogy of how it works is...

Goldilocks and The Three Bears

1) Gaining Weight: If an individual is Gaining Weight on their "Average Daily Caloric Intake", they are in a surplus; consuming More Calories than they burn.

2) Losing Weight: If an individual is Losing Weight on their "Average Daily Caloric Intake", they are in a deficit; consuming fewer calories than they burn.

3) No Weight Loss: If an individual's Weight Remains The Same on their "Average Daily Caloric Intake", their Calorie Consumption Matches their Caloric Expenditure.

Kenny Croxdale