It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Form check
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 pm 
n00b
n00b

Stephen Johnson wrote:
@Mister:

You're doing an OK regular deadlift going up, and a stiff legged deadlift going down.

Too much lower back movement going down, and not enough hips.

In layman's terms: I should push my ass back not lower the weight straight down?

Edit: Removed part of the post as no good would come of it.

Last edited by Mister on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm 

Politically incorrect? POLITICALLY INCORRECT? You think that demeaning cognitively handicapped people is just politically incorrect? And a joke? That's sad.

A simple "I'm sorry" is all that is needed here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

There I deleted it. I deleted it before I saw your reply even because I had a feeling it would make you mad.

I could apologise to you, but I wouldn't really mean it.

Do you want that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:06 pm 

Lock it down.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

Isn't the important part about the deadlift the concentric part? I've seen some people even throw the bar down after pulling.

Or am I wrong about this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:32 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Mister wrote:
Isn't the important part about the deadlift the concentric part? I've seen some people even throw the bar down after pulling.

Sounds like an Olympic weightlifter. But a powerlifter who throws the bar down invalidates his lift.

Also, consider this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_contraction

Quote:
Exercise featuring a heavy eccentric load can actually support a greater weight (muscles are approximately 40% stronger during eccentric contractions than during concentric contractions) and also results in greater muscular damage and delayed onset muscle soreness one to two days after training. Exercise that incorporates both eccentric and concentric muscular contractions (i.e. involving a strong contraction and a controlled lowering of the weight) can produce greater gains in strength than concentric contractions alone.[5][7]

Good luck with your training

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:31 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I thought "retarded" is a medical term, that has been hijacked to be used to tease the actual mentally retarded, and bust balls. I pay more attention to the content
My sis in law has Downs. She's mentally retarded. She's retarded. You better not call her that.

I acted stupid, silly, retarded sometimes.

Is "colored" is offensive now. Was it always? Dont' we sometimes take the "correct" term and turn it into poison? I may be getting past the age of keeping up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I thought "retarded" is a medical term, that has been hijacked to be used to tease the actual mentally retarded, and bust balls. I pay more attention to the content
My sis in law has Downs. She's mentally retarded. She's retarded. You better not call her that.

I acted stupid, silly, retarded sometimes.

Is "colored" is offensive now. Was it always? Dont' we sometimes take the "correct" term and turn it into poison? I may be getting past the age of keeping up.

I think a simple rule of thumb is not to use a term that describes/described demographics as an insult.

(perhaps an even better rule would be to not waste one's time insulting people at all)

As far as dropping the bar, Olympic lifters drop the bar after a completed lift skipping the eccentric phase for a number of reasons, some of which have to do with Olympic Weightlifting being a sport. Skipping the eccentric phase for someone looking to get fitness results would be largely counterproductive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being younger than many here, I have a different perspective. To me "retarded" refers to someone of supposedly normal intelligence who is so frightfully stupid that you just can't wrap your head around the magnitude of their stupidity. So it's like dumber than dumb. So it would never occur to me to refer to a mentally challenged person as "retarded", same thing as calling them dumb or stupid. They have a disability, they aren't dumb/stupid/retarded. I find making fun of the disabled quite offensive, so that word has nothing to do with them in my thinking. But I do understand that other people do associate that word in that way.

It's kind of like that episode of South Park, where they were calling those bikers "fags", and were shocked that it was a word for gay people. Their response was "but gay people aren't fags. Why would you say such a thing?"