ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:37 am 
n00b
n00b

I consider myself a novice in fitness knowledge and I am looking to improve this knowledge. One issue I'm reading on currently regards exercise sets. So far I've found that the standard, almost universally accepted routine, especially when using weights, is to do exercises for a number of sets, increasing the weight used between sets. Does it have the same effect if instead one would do single sets of different exercises targeting the same muscle group, using your maximum weights for each exercise?

This sounds like a basic question to me but I haven't been able to find anything informative on it, and I was wondering if you would know of any articles that focus on this subject.

My interest comes from the fact that doing multiple sets of the same exercise is monotonous to me and it affects my motivation, and I much more appreciate variety. The only place I've found this approach so far is in the P90X program, and though they term it "muscle confusion", I'm simply interested in the great variety it presents in its exercises. I would think that any exercise program brings the results you're looking for as long as a large part comes from your diet, and if you're smart about intensity and proper form.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dirk101 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can do any of those things. You can increase or decrease weight between sets while changing reps to match, you can do the same weight, or you can even do less sets of more exercises. Any of those things work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:05 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the reply, Ironman. If that is the case, I'm curious why multiple sets of one exercise is the norm. Is it the convenience of simpler routines, simply people starting out with the norm followed by force of habit, or is there a benefit I'm not seeing?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:38 am 
Novice
Novice

Dirk101 wrote:
I'm curious why multiple sets of one exercise is the norm.

Strength benefits. The more you do a specific exercise, the stronger you will be at it. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, that's the only reason. Strength in a specific lift.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:47 pm 
n00b
n00b

Would the somewhat opposite be true? Doing single sets of multiple exercises give me relatively less strength but in multiple movements?