ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:17 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi,

I thought I would try to create my own program for the first time ever using this site's info, after having followed routines by others in the past.

I'm going to go with the 3 Day PPL routine, as I classify myself as still technically an intermediate because all of my "main" lifts are either riiiight at the edge of advanced or advanced going by strength standards.

My question is, should I/would you recommend not doing the optional exercises as I am currently just maintaining/recomping calorically? Like since I'm not really going to be getting massive muscle growth (if any) I don't need to do the optional stuff, just keep my strength up on the non-optional exercises?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:58 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think it would depend on your recovery...

With a low caloric deficit or maintenance calories and no unreasonably high volume you could do fine with optional excercises. Otherwise the concentration on the main excercises would be a good idea.

Too much training and/or a (high) caloric deficit and/or not enough sleep will result in less recovery which hinders your progress or you could even regress.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:
I think it would depend on your recovery...

With a low caloric deficit or maintenance calories and no unreasonably high volume you could do fine with optional excercises. Otherwise the concentration on the main excercises would be a good idea.

Too much training and/or a (high) caloric deficit and/or not enough sleep will result in less recovery which hinders your progress or you could even regress.

Thanks!