ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi guys,

I've been running one of the 4x/week push/pull templates with success so far. However, I've noticed my OHP has not progressed, and maybe even got a bit weaker. I also OHP right after benching, and on Push days my heavy compounds are the Squat, Bench, and OHP, while on Pull days it's only Deadlift.

Even though OHP is a push, would it be smart to move it to the Pull day, so it is not directly conflicting with the Bench that day? For some more context, I am riiight at the advanced level of strength in both of those exercises according to exrx's strength standards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:54 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wouldn`t move Press to Pull-Day, because you will stress deltoid and triceps each training day and not only on Push-Days.

I`d rather...
... accept that Press is going to develop slower (which will always be the case) or
... change the excercises on the second Push-day (do Press before Benchpress) or
... do only Press or Benchpress heavy (and the other one light) each Push-Day...

You don`t train Rows or Chins heavy at all? (I can understand that, because for me, these lifts work better this way too, but on the other hand I would`t totally neglect that.)

You could also try another setup... like upper/lower for example (5/3/1 being an example where each training day is dedicated to one lift to solve the problem you are facing)...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:
I wouldn`t move Press to Pull-Day, because you will stress deltoid and triceps each training day and not only on Push-Days.

I`d rather...
... accept that Press is going to develop slower (which will always be the case) or
... change the excercises on the second Push-day (do Press before Benchpress) or
... do only Press or Benchpress heavy (and the other one light) each Push-Day...

You don`t train Rows or Chins heavy at all? (I can understand that, because for me, these lifts work better this way too, but on the other hand I would`t totally neglect that.)

You could also try another setup... like upper/lower for example (5/3/1 being an example where each training day is dedicated to one lift to solve the problem you are facing)...

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I also do rows and chins, but I guess since I've never really thought of them as one of the "Big" lifts I'm not too concerned at where my strength is in those.

I think I might just keep doing what I'm doing...or maybe I'll alternate it so one week bench is first on the "heavy" push day while OHP is first on the "Light" day...and then switch it up to the opposite the next week.