ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:15 am 
n00b
n00b

I am trying to break through a plateau and wanted to know if anyone has had success with partial reps. I have heard conflicting opinions from phenomenal success to a complete waste of time. I have also been told to cut my cardio back from 2 hrs. per week to 1hr., but I eat enough to compensate for running and don't think it would make that big of a difference in overall strength.

I am 6'2" and 185 lbs., so I know I don't have the genetics to put on very much mass, but I would like to continue progressing, even at a slow pace.

For about 3 months, I have been stuck at a 215 lb. 1RM on bench and 365 on squats, so this week I tried strong-range partial reps.

I have to admit that it felt good to push up 335 on bench-press, even if it was only 5 inches or so, but it would be even more satifying if I knew that it wasn't a total waste of energy.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:21 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I certainly think they have a place, especially for breaking through a plateau, when used in conjunction with the regular ROM of that lift. Most PL types I know, and even some OL types use them as assistant exercises to the lift they want to improve.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:11 am 
Novice
Novice

Well, you're only as good as your weakest link. Meaning if the bottom position of the bench is your sticking point, partial reps at the top part of the movement (where you may be already strongest at)really isnt gonna help you...since its not improving bottom strength. Do partials in the area your weak at. For most people, its the bottom of the bench just off the chest. Drop weight at first, dont think you'll be able partial more weight at the bottom like you can doing partials with the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:30 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I agree with Jeff. You should focus on improving the weak links in your lifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:46 pm 
n00b
n00b

TimD wrote:
Well, I certainly think they have a place, especially for breaking through a plateau, when used in conjunction with the regular ROM of that lift. Most PL types I know, and even some OL types use them as assistant exercises to the lift they want to improve.
Tim

After doing some research on neuro-response to muscular overload, I'm inclined to agree with this. I think partials are a useful auxilliary to full ROM of the same lift. I also think I will initiate more muscle growth and increase overall strength (weak links included) by using heavier weights in the strong range than specifically focusing on the sticking points.

Thanks for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:59 pm 

What Tim said is usually true but you must realize that usually a persons sticking point is not at the extreme end of the ROM. This is because the leverage is the worst at another point. Dependin on the individual, training around this weak leverage point can improve your ability greatly.

Isometric holds done at the sticking point or 1 and 1/4 reps are a great thing.

1 and 1/4 reps using bench press as an example, you lower the bar as usual and touch the chest and then go up to the sticking point, you pause there, go back down and then go all the way up. This specifically addresses strength at the weak point, while still performing a full range of motion lift.

Loading 600 lb on the bar and doing 3 inch squats will not help you at all in performing a deep squat with 200 lb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:44 am 

Makes sense.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 am 
n00b
n00b

So I'm 2.5 weeks into my stong-range partial experiment. Perceived or actual, I've been feeling stronger this week and couldn't resist seeing if any improvements have been made in full ROM.

1RM Bench press: 235lb. (up from 215lb.)

Pull ups (unassisted): 9 (previous best was 6)

Preacher curl: 90 lb. x 8 (previously only did 6 reps of this weight)

Squat: 385 (I really think I could have done this before, but lacked the confidence to up the weight)

Maybe it's psycological, but I really don't care if that's the case. I feel like I've broken through a plateu and will continue to make improvements by increasing my muscle work-load with partial reps.

Of course, this is not a blanket endorsement for everybody to incorperate partials, but I'm pretty excited about it.