ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: gloves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

Anyone know of some decent gloves with fingers that are a little longer then usual. All the gloves I have seen go to just a hair below the middle knuckle. It would be nice to have some that go to maybe halway between the middle and top knuckle. I have got some wicked calouses on middle fingers. Anyone else have that problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:50 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

hey sonny,

I don't use gloves much anymore, but...

.. I remember once having an injury on one of my fingers and my lifting gloves didn't quite cover it. I bought a baseball glove and cut the fingertips out and it worked pretty well.

I soak my hands sometimes (while in the hot tub or bath) and right after, I'll take a fine emery board to my callouses, just..buffing them, to keep them down and smooth.

This works better on my fingerTIPS (which are callused from playing the guitar) than it does on my lifting callouses, which tend to be more on my palm, and tougher to hit with the file.

when you say you have callouses on your middle fingers..where abouts on your fingers? and..not your other fingers? My lifting callouses seem to all be at the top of my palm, just below my fingers.

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:41 am 
I see lots of people use baseball or football gloves to workout in. You could use those in a pinch if nothing else is long enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

I might try that. The worst ones are on the middle fingers, but the ring fingers have them too. The gloves keep the palms undercontrol. The middle fingers are even thicker then my guitar callouses.

Post subject: gloves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 pm 

I have a pair of Nikes that go past the first knuckle on the index and middle finger only. My Harbingers don'.

I need to go on a rant here, please forgive me. Why wouldn't you use gloves? Only sissies use them? Newbies? Because the old guys don't? As a professional safety guy that is the same thing I hear when I talk about hardhats, safety glasses, etc. until something happens. I don't need to turn the machine off just to.... whoa! Why is my arm spinning around that shaft? If you wear gloves, you don't get callouses. If you don't get those, they don't rip off and delay your training. I may look stupid in a hardhat, but it isn't as dumb looking as a hammer sticking out your head.

Whew! okay. Sorry. If it hurts when you work out or you miss a weak because your callouse ripped off is not my problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:16 am 

Except if you compete you cant use them and even worse, if you forget your gloves and workout, your hands will tear in a major way that will likely keep you from working out for a month or more.

Post subject: Re: gloves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:41 am 
Rookie
Rookie

hoosegow wrote:
I have a pair of Nikes that go past the first knuckle on the index and middle finger only. My Harbingers don'.

I need to go on a rant here, please forgive me. Why wouldn't you use gloves? Only sissies use them? Newbies? Because the old guys don't? As a professional safety guy that is the same thing I hear when I talk about hardhats, safety glasses, etc. until something happens. I don't need to turn the machine off just to.... whoa! Why is my arm spinning around that shaft? If you wear gloves, you don't get callouses. If you don't get those, they don't rip off and delay your training. I may look stupid in a hardhat, but it isn't as dumb looking as a hammer sticking out your head.

Mmm..I'm thinking you are talking to me because I'm the one who mentioned I don't use gloves much.

Really.. I don't wear them because I'm not LIFTING much (due to an injury and some other setbacks)

I agree that gloves are fine for the everyday lifter. But Ryan has the best point. Gloves aren't allowed in competition, so if one plans to compete, s/he should get used to lifting without gloves.

I'm a GIRL, so I prefer NOT to have a mess of calluses on my hands. But I've had others try to convince me that wearing gloves compromises my strength, but I don't care much about that.

Likewise, I've had people online tell me I should not be using wrist wraps. But on those rare occasions when I am 'going heavy' I absolutely use wrist wraps. I need my wrists (and my hands) for OTHER things in life. More important things then a lifting.

SO... I'm not anti-glove at all!

just to clear that up.

dian in spokane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

If I was competeing I woulnd't wear gloves so I would build up callouses. Not wearing gloves isn't bad, you just have callouses if you lift heavy. If I forgot my gloves, most days it wouldn't matter. On the day I do most of my pull stuff, my hands might be slightly sore for an hour or two. Also no big deal. We're getting rather dramatic about gloves here. Gloves won't affect lifting or way or the other.

Now wrist straps are a different story. If you need those, you are negleting your forearms. Not to mention not using them is forearm neglect. They get most of their work with gripping. a set of hammers or reverese grip along with a set of exstensor and flexor exercises do the trick just fine. Week forearms could possibly hold you back on some exercises.

I also don't like all the belts and braces and all that stuff. I think people should build their bodies evenly. Wearing a belt so you can squat heavy and never work your abs and erector spinae seems silly to me.

Now the white powder crap I can understand, but I wish people would clean up after themselves if they are going to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:59 am 

Well actually, wrist wraps are used by some of the top lifters who do compete to use weights they would not otherwise be able to handle. Also used to allow more volume. Pyros Dimas (Greek OL 3 time Gold medalist) was big on using wrist wraps in his training so that he could train more volume I think. In competition he would hook grip but that can tear up the hands so he chose the other way out.

I am not saying gloves are bad, I just dont think they help with much other than vanity about not wanting callouses. Wrist wraps actually get something done by allowing you to lift weights you wouldnt otherwise be lifting.

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:00 am 
Novice
Novice

That's just it though. Wrist straps are like the dark side. Once you got down the wrist strap path forever will it dominate your lifting. hehe :)

If you use them you will continue to need them unless you want to go light for a long time untill you're forearms catch up. If you never use them your forearms adjust to the load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:39 pm 
Well this is true but what if you want to do an exercise just for 3-4 weeks that you havent done in a while and that requires more hand strength than you are normally accustomed say... Partial deadlifts in a power rack for reps. I mean sure, I can hold on to ~500 lbs without straps but when I am doing partial deadlifts I would need close to 600 lbs. and unless you train something else ~600 lbs. it is difficult to have your forearms catch up in that 3-4 week period where you are exposed to said 600 lbs.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:09 am 
Novice
Novice

Yea I can agree with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

sonny,

are you talking about wrist wraps or lifting straps? wraps are fine in my opinion, straps are a different animal.

when I say wrist wraps, I'm talking about power wraps. When going heavy (which I admit I haven't done in ages) I use wraps. They go around the wrist but not the bar. knee wraps too.

These are used ~routinely~ in powerlifting meets. Some of the strongest guys in the world use them

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

We were talking about lifting straps. I don't think wraps are needed, but I don't think it really hurts anything. Who knows though, if you are going heavy doing partials, maybe you need them.

By the way I did find some decent gloves on ebay. They have longer fingers which should do the trick. I got a real good price on them too. I just had to look around a bit. Gloves are the only accessorie I wear. It is just to keep the palms of my hands from looking like the bottom of my feet.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]