ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

Can anyone sum up the value (if there is much of any) in working the smaller muscle groups that aren't listed as primary or optional targets in any of the templates on the site. I'm talking about the Serratus Anterior and the rotator cuff muscles (Subscapularis, Infraapinatus, Supraspinatus).

Is it worth it to work these muscles ever, never, once in a great while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

It depends on your goals. I will sometimes work the serratus anterior in as an extra exercise, to use in a superset or just for variety if I'm doing well that day.

Shoulders are my most fragile joint, so I will work in light rotator cuff exercises, mainly for range of motion. It doesn't have to be much, but enough to keep the joint oiled.

When I was working, carpal tunnel syndrome was the biggest injury, so I started doing wrist and forearm exercises faithfully. Never went heavy, but it paid off. I managed to avoid this injury during my working years. Now I do them every once in a while, but not regularly. I find the compound exercises are maintaining the strength I do have in my forearms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:21 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

They may not be in the main Muscle and Excercise Director (where the temmplates lead) but they are listed (along with vid clips) . Go to Kinesiology- Articulations, then look up the area you're interested in. Shoulders lists several useful rotator cuff exercises (rotations) And yes, they can be useful.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Working the rotator cuff can go a long way towards injury prevention in sports, and even prevent injuries in weight lifting. Sometimes people say doing military or behind the neck presses are dangerous because they can injure the shoulder. What happens is someone who shoulder presses a lot of weight then tries to do a lot of weight on these variant exercises that put a lot of stress on the unused rotator cuff, causing injuries in the way that someone with a weak back and really strong legs may hurt themself when trying to squat a lof of weight.

Trying every exercise once in a great while is always a good thing. There's plenty of different ways to do a bench press, and there's no reason to get complacent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

I do a little serratus anterior work, it's nice to prevent the winged scapula condition, and just helps (what I can describe as) core strength.

Rotator cuff and rotary cuff exercises? GOD YES. They helped my bench a lot and healed my tendinitis in my shoulder and also for a lot of other people who've posted here. I believe everyone should do them. They are weak and vulnerable otherwise. Unless you're already a baseball player I guess :) I only do them two sets for rotator and two for rotary once every 12 days.