Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:42 pm 
n00b
n00b

I am a bit confused. Heheheh

I have just started hitting the gym 10 weeks ago when I quitted smoking. So I will consider myself as a beginner. During the earlier part of my gym days, I have applied 3 sets of 12,10,8 to all my exercise. I can see my body growth because my shirts are tighter. (looks better too)

Last week, I have used 5x5 in my exercise. However instead of increasing the weight at each set, I used my original weight from my (12,10,8) for my first 4 sets and increase the weight on my last set. From this program, I can feel my muscle sore more. I like the soreness because I think I am doing the right thing. (please correct me if I am wrong)

So given my inexperience and being a cheapskate for not hiring a personal trainer (thank you for your kind understanding), what sets & reps are best suit for me?

Cheers
E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:16 pm 

Some soreness is okay but more soreness is not necessarily an indicator of more muscle growth.

If you were able to do 12,10,8 with the weight you are now using for 5 reps, the 5x5 seems like it should be pretty easy. I am a bit perplexed as to how you could be more sore.

All rep ranges should be used at various points to give your body variety. Stick with the 5x5 for 4-6 weeks and then go back to the 3 sets of 12 reps.

This is mostly for your focus exercises. In other words, you cant do 5x5 for all the stuff you listed because it would take a long time, far too long to be effective. Right now, as a beginner, you should just work on full body fitness in all rep ranges, build muscle and strength in the major muscle groups. This would be your chest, upper back, lower back and legs/glutes/hips. Arms should follow from proper Upper body compound movements. If however, you find your arms are lagging behind after 6 months of serious compound exercises, then you can take 3-4 weeks and do 5x5 on the arms to bring up the lagging pieces, then go back to the compound exercises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oh..... Uh... forget everything you read. You will get strength and size no matter what you do. I usually reccomend 1 or 2 sets of 6 to 8 reps to failure for beginners. You alternate chest and back or quads and hams with 90 seconds rest, so if you do another set for the muscle you get 3 minutes rest before you do it. Like the routine for my brother who started lifting recently starts with flat bench, then rows, then incline bench, then pulldowns. This is full body done on 3 nonconsecutive days.

Just get in there, lift hard and keep it under an hour. No need to put much thought into it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thank you very much for your experience advice.

E