ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

I got my new 16 inch dumbbell handles and bought spring collars for them at the local Play It Again Sports for about $1 each collar. Naturally I see that these aren't too secure so I want something different. I'll either get new collars or just exchange the handles for the spin-lock variety.

What kind of standard 1 inch collars do you use? Where did you get them? How much did they cost? How do you like them?

And if you're there, Hoister, what kind did you use on the dumbbell handles that you made?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:22 pm 

I bought the red steel kind with the set-screw locking nut. I've bought them at used sporting goods and other fitness stores. I've seen them for anywhere from $1 to $3 each - look around and you'll surely find some cheap ones.

I've also used the spring type collars you describe with a hose clamp to lock them on. I've also used hose clamps alone. They work very well, but are a little tedious to take on and off.

Another cheap and very effective collar is the u-shape clamps you use for muffler/exhaust connections. They're very cheap (less than a buck some places) and actuall lock down tighter and better than a normal collar. I've tested it and found it took 400lbs of plates tipped up on end before the clamp started to slip. So i have never had any worries about using them.

Here's a link to a sample
http://www.abagroup.com/Corporate/Page____426.aspx

-Hoister