ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breathing Technique
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:54 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

So I was thinking back to my SCUBA training and I remember my instructor telling me that if you have to hold your breath for a long time the best way to prepare is to take 3 very fast shallow breaths (hyperventilate) then one big inhale before going under.

I was thinking if that allows you to get more oxygen into your body it might be useful in weightlifting (at least to prevent the buildup of lactic acid). I tried it today one my chest workout. So for example I'd take three quick breaths, inhale deeply, then push off while exhaling then breath normally for the rest of the set. I felt like I could handle more and I lifted more than I did in my previous chest session, but there's too many factors to just attribute it to this.

Anyone ever try this or have any opinions on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:44 pm 

There is also the possibility that you thought it would help so it did help, functioning as a sort of psyche up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:38 pm 
n00b
n00b

It does sound a lot like the placebo effect. But just to clarify the lactic acid comment. There is no way to prevent lactic acid build up. And opposite from popular believe lactic acid isn't a "bad" thing and it also has nothing to do with the pain that you feel during or after working out. Lactic acid is simply a by-product of the glycolitic energy system as a means to rephosphorylate ATP molecules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:26 am 
Novice
Novice

Are you sure the three quick breaths isn't to expel carbon dioxide or perhaps to stretch the lungs (?) , not necessarily to increase oxygen intake, seeing that in most people your lungs take in more than they need at normal altitudes.