ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

i was thinking doing this routine A for 2 weeks then the other routine B 2 weeks
A incline,decline, flat barbell press follow by close grip and pec dec
B incline,decline, flat dumbell press follow by skull crushers and cable cross overs
3 sets of 8-12 reps and i wanted to do dips but i didnt know where i would throw it in any advice would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:07 pm 

First, that seems like alot. 3 sets for incline/decline/flat bench/close grip/pec dec is 18 sets for chest, which is alot, too many. Cut something, anything.

Second, mix up the dumbbells and barbells, perhaps you could do:
flat and CG bench with BB, incline/decline with DB and then
flat DB, incline decline BB

Third, mix up reps/sets ranges, unless you are solely interested in bodybuilding/hypertrophy, you shouldn't do everything in the 3/8-12 range.
Some 5x5, some 3x8 and some heavy 3x3 mixed in would be good.

Fourth, I assume you're doing chest workouts twice a week. If you want to add dips, then I suggest just adding a light bodyweight component to one of your other days. On your legs day add 3 sets of push-ups, and 4 sets of dips. Nothing to prevent your resting, but working with your bodyweight would be good anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with DubDub. I also think pec deck and cable crossovers are a waste of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:07 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I think DubDub makes a good point (and Ironman, but Dub answered first, LOL) First off, I don't even like "bodypart" training. But if you must, let's anal;yze it. You are setting up 5 exercises, 3 sets each all in the 8-12 rep range. That's 15 total sets, and what I would consider major overkill for one area. DubDub suggest different ranges. Good idea. How about altenating several workouts, based on our list. For instance,
Day 1
Flat BB BP 5X5 (strength power move)
DB incline 3X8-10 (more towards hypertrophy)
Cable Crossover 2X10-15 (more of a "pump" thing)
Day 2
BB decline 5x5 (an overload power/strength move)
Dips or BB close grip (they're very similar) 3-4 X6-8 (hypertrophy)
Your choice of a chest or tri isolation, 2X10-15
Day whatever, your choice or repeat, but I think you get the idea of what DubDub was talking about in varying set/rep ranges
Good training
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

The guys all have good points. Here's what really worked for me regarding chest and triceps (two or three days rest in between days):

During Day A:
BB Bench press 3X10
BB Incline Bench Press 2X10

During Day B:
BB Decline Bench press 2X10

During Day C:
BB Bench press 3X10
BB Incline Bench Press 2X10
Cable Tricep Pushdown 2X12

QUESTION:
I moved and joined a new gym with an excellent pec deck machine. I swapped out the two BB Bench Presses 3X10 for Pec Deck Flys 2X10. I am thinking the range of motion will be beneficial. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:19 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think it's a bad idea. Your swapping a free-weight compound movement for a machine isolation movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Matt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yeah, but I still have the incline and decline, no? Perhaps swapping out the two regular sets with decline, and then swapping out the one decline set with pec deck?

I dunno, I think I'll try it for a while. When I incorperated decline into my workout, I noticed great results in bench press. I'm hoping to see great results in decline press now with the introduction of flys. The numbers won't lie either way, good or bad.

When the weights started getting high, I started to figure it might be overkill, I dunno. You guys done pec deck flys before?

Since you guys like free weights and compund movements, which makes sense, I figured I'd count what I have...

8 lever exercises (mostly isolation)
2 DB exercises (isolation)
7 BB exercise (mostly compund stuff)
7 cable exercises (mostly isolation)
+weighted incline crunches, close grip chin-ups, smith shrugs

I've gotten great improvement in results trying little differences in my routine over and over until arriving at this current one, so it's been an evolution, but I'm obviously open minded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've done it all, including pec deck. Dumbbell fly's are much better. I don't really see a reason to do flys for the most part though. I do dumbbell flys superseted with barbell bench to prefatigue chest sometimes. Anymore that's about it. I would do it like this.
All either barbell or dumbbell
flat 3X10
incline 3X10 (yes, 3 on purpose, keep them even)

decline 1X10
incline 1X10

flat 1X10
decline 2X10
incline 3X10
triceps (close grips, skulls, extensions, or whatever) 2X12

Personally I do a standing calf machine and cable pulldowns right now. All the rest is DB or BB or weighted. I don't do much isolation. I am sure I have lot's of isolation compared to the strength and power lifting guys, but it's pretty minimal for a bodybuilder. I do as much compound as I possibly can. Then a small ammount of isolation for helping muscles. Gastrocs are about the only thing that doesn't get involved in compounds.

I think compounds are better mass builders and I think it is the only way to get the right level of volume and intensity done in the time required.

I think freeweights are the way to go because you activate more muscles. Your body has lots of little muscles all over that you can't really target. You look so much better if they are all big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:31 am 
Novice
Novice

I have decided to alternate pec deck flys with decline bench press so that I am decline benching more. Seems to be working well!