ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi

I do sprints , push ups (variations) , chin ups (veriations) , dips (wide and narrow) . with wieghts its mainly dumbells squat press , dead lift also Oly style like in crossfit .. Also over head squats , front squats and normal squats. stomach excercises

I dont do curls , or any flys or leg machines do you think, im missing anything? in terms of muscles developed? I dont use any machines at all

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:01 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Depends on what you're goals are. If you're interesting in bodybuilding, then yes, you are missing a bit. HOWEVER, if your goals are similar to mine, i.e general fitness, you're not missing a thing, in fact you're on the right track, using major compound and multicompound moves that involve the entire body. Bodybuilding type of workouts do not necessarily mean you're developing overall fitness, it just means you are developing bodyparts. I use the CF model as a guideline, but don't necessarily follow their posted workouts. I just keep things mixe up and varie
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:56 am 

One more note, as to muscles developed. Again, you may be missing something bodybuilding wwise, if thats your goal by not doing curls, etc, but with a main goal of fitness, you're really not. Interms of muscles developed, dips and chins (which you do) are very arm oriented, although you are not isolating them. Many of the old time physical culturists had great builds, and dip mainly clean and press, some type of row and dips and chins for their upper bodys. Unless you are planning on a physique contest, I wouldn't worry about it.Also, your doing all forms of squatting, plus the oly pulls with DB's and deadlifts. No need whatsoever for any type of lower body machine.
Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:14 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fredson wrote:
Hi

I do sprints , push ups (variations) , chin ups (veriations) , dips (wide and narrow) . with wieghts its mainly dumbells squat press , dead lift also Oly style like in crossfit .. Also over head squats , front squats and normal squats. stomach excercises

I dont do curls , or any flys or leg machines do you think, im missing anything? in terms of muscles developed? I dont use any machines at all

thanks

As Tim stated, depending on goals, isolation work is not neccessary. The gaps I see are a lack of horizontal pulling (upper back) exercises such as bent-over rows/cable seated rows and I would add some vertical pushin (overhead work such as bd/bb shoulder press or handstand push-ups if you perfer body weight). Come to think of it, you might already be doing handstand push-ups since you said you do variations of push-ups.

Finally, single-leg movements would complement you lower body development nicely.