ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:51 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, as to knees going past toes, mine come close, but it doesn't seem to happen, really. They usually end up getting close though. My stance is probably why, though, and I do a lot of high bar stuff along with front and overheads. My knees point out somewhat, tracking the toes, and I try to allow my hips to sink down and in between the knees rather than over them. Also, m foot spacing is slightly wider than shoulder width. Here is a good read on the subject
http://danjohn.org/squat101_files/frame.html
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:03 am 

I dont know but the pic on this site seems to need a good amount of ankle flexibility to me.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Glu ... Squat.html

Post subject: Re: Technique the issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Otama wrote:
Going by your post I would say flexibility isn't your limiting factor but technique. In particular you mention inflexibility about the ankles, knee pain and the need for dorsiflexion. Ankle flexibility plays little role in squatting unless your technique is on the bad side of ugly. The same can be said for glutes, hamstrings etc. I have taught 100's of people with extremely poor hamstring, glute and psoas flexibility (back injuries) to squat with no problem. The only limitation hamstrings will place on you is rotation about the hips but not enough to prevent a squat if good technique is used. The usual cause of ankle/knee discomfort in squatting is a lack of rotation about the hips normally because the person is trying to keep their back vertically straight which is incorrect. This causes biomechanical pain/pressure about the ankles and or knees. I would re-evaluate your technique.

I think I disagree that this is my case... but I'm intrigued nevertheless.

Consider that I can't squat -- with weight or no weight, bar or no bar -- to even near parallel without rounding my lower back. If it was a technique issue, I should be able to just control that factor. Furthermore... if I squat below parallel (with no weight) it is almost impossible for me to keep myself from falling backwards. (Not sure if that's normal?)

My back is definitely not vertically straight (I presume that means upright). It seems to be way too far in the other direction (i.e., rounded).

I think the mechanics of my squat are definitely fouled up, which results in the knee pain (and, IMO, putting up lower numbers). But I'm believing my mechanics issues are caused by inflexibility, and not expressly poor technique. (I don't claim my technique is good... indeed, by the very fact that I can't perform the squat appropriately my technique is bad.) I guess what I'm saying is that I don't believe I'm in a position to just make my body move in the correct manner.

But I'm open to hearing other ideas.

In other news, I've so far been unable to motivate myself into doing the necessary stretches consistently. Too damn boring!!! I'll keep trying though.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:17 am 
n00b
n00b

PeterP wrote:
This is the most interesting thing I've read about flexibility lately. I haven't tried it to know if it works. It is just a different way to think about it that made a lot of sense to me.

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/flexo.html

Very good article!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:35 am 
n00b
n00b

hi! try some VERY gentle h.string PNF ( proprioceptive nueromuscular facilitation involving a second felibility trainer or a towel held by yourself ) where you stretch your desired muscle group whilst breathing out, hold for a count of five, and then release. i'd say you may benefit from a basic yoga class with an ACCREDITED yoga teacher. sting didn't get his tantric abilities just doing hypertrophy training!! and surely sexy flexible women should be motivation enough to join a yoga class!! DO NOT TRY TO IMPRESS THEM!!! DO NOT TRY TO TAKE the stretches beyond your Range Of Movement.....flexibilty takes time like anything else and you DO NOT want to cause an injury or long term damage.....yoga is about breathing and relaxation too it's not a competition.....

i used to go in to the classes i attended when i was at uni late and feeling stressed, i'd walk out like i was floating on air because of the deep breathing and gentle stretching to release muscle tension....aaah even thinking about it makes me feel more relaxed....

reflective meditation gap......

if you have pain STOP.

STOP.

resting for a few months / a few years until it is better, is BETTER THAN CAUSING A LASTING INJURY THAT YOU WILL NOT RECOVER FROM.

.......eat oily fish for the omega oils and codriotin ( see more on this and read a broad base of resources to get accurate colated evidence )

we evolved on fat, gristle, marrow etc. if you want to also look into this i think it would be a good idea.

nicole :0)

p.s. i have to say i feel squatting is a bit on the silly side of weight bearing on the cervical spine area and too much load bearing on the knees after a while.....please take it easy!!

jwcalla wrote:
Hey,

I'm kinda frustrated. My lower body flexibility is pretty bad. Imagine... the worst flexibility humanly possible. It's 10x worse than that. So I've cut out my leg training day because I can't do squats with proper form (after awhile I develop a little knee pain). I think the tightest groups are glutes, hips, and especially ankles (very little dorsiflexion ROM).

So I'm trying to develop a stretching program based on some of the stretches depicted here at ExRx.net, using what I think is a static stretching technique, but I don't think I can do this without eventually hanging myself with a rope. I'm finding it to be (a) incredibly boring, (b) incredibly time-consuming, and (c) incredibly not producing results. At this rate I expect to be flexible enough to resume squats sometime after retirement. (Fortunately I'm not bitter though.)

Isn't there a better, more effective way to increase flexibility? I'm not looking for tweaks or to loosen up or to maintain -- none of that tofu and yogurt stuff; I need the meat and potatoes here! I need to make serious progress! Hook a brotha' up! Has anyone out there had measurable success moving from rigor mortis to ballerina girl? Is there some sport I can do to help? A better method of stretching? I'm especially concerned about the ankles (my primary limitation for the squat), since there's not really a lot to "stretch" there.

I mean... if y'all think that I just need to buckle down and do the stretches and be patient and resume leg training in a few decades, then I guess I'll do that... albeit very begrudgingly.

If at this point you're still reading this, I thank you for the love.

John