ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: building size
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is the recommended amount of reps per set to build bulk? Not neccessarily pure strength or power (although it seems reasonable to assume that bulk would add to those...)

Also, anyone here know the recommended amount of reps for losing fat? Just Curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:52 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

There really is no magic number of reps for either size and or fat loss. I suggest you go to the Weight training section on this site and read through it. They cover all topic with some starting recommendations. I've seen people people both bulk and lose fat (usually not at the same time though) with both rep ranges in the 5-8 range, and also in the 8-12 range. It also has a lot to do with how much you eat (or not eat), and your methodology (heavy weights, lots of rest between sets), or moderate weight with very short rest periods. Now, by text book standards, rep ranges from 1-6 are neuro geared, or strength enhancing. 8-12 are hypertrophy geared. Personally, when I was bulking, I did best skirting the two, and using reps in the 5-8 range, longer rest periods, with as heavy as I could go within that range, and eating A LOT. For Fat loss, I used more moderate weight, in the 6-12 rep range, with very short rest breaks, and eating much less. So, again, the is no magic number for reps. Please read through the weight training section at this site to get a better undertanding of the different methods involved.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

anywhere from 6 to 12 works for the vast majority. As for fat loss. Don't change your lifting. Just change your diet and ad HIIT and maybe some cardio. You might get a more calories burned with a high volume routine that uses submaximal weight though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:30 am 

The majority of current athletic trainers use what is known in a periodized program as an adaptation or preperation phase to do 2 things.
1. Lean the athlete out
2. Build up work capacity, for heavier work to come.
It is basically done with circuits, and is NOT high volume , and is somewhat HIIT in nature by itself. They are done with moderate weights, short rest breaks. The idea is to get more work done in a shorter period of time. Most recreational bodybuilders overlook this Phase. You can certainly do what Ironman wrote, it's just not optimal for fat loss, IMO.
The big thing for fat loss though, is DIET.
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I don't believe that you can leave age, metabolism, and the natural production of growth hormones out of this equation. I see a lot of young guys come into the gym, do everything almost right, then undo it all on the outside. Many could add inches of muscle by taking a week off from lifting, eating right, and getting needed rest. Recuperation is essential to muscle gains, and that might mean a change in your nightlife as well as your lifestyle.

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:58 pm 

OK, I might agree, I', m 56 years young as well as you, but what does that have to do with this thread"
Tim