ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:00 am 
n00b
n00b

I ve been reading that if you do wieghts in a certain way , you can loose coordination. Where as if you do Oly wieghts they can help with coordination as you use the whole body to lift the wieght. Can anyone give me some ideas on wieghts (excercises) that will help improve cordination other then Oly wieghts as i do them already. Im not intrested in appearance , just speed , strenght and overall fitness

thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:52 am 
Rookie
Rookie

It sounds like functional training would be great for you as it concentrates a lot on movements similar to what we use in real life. It's also very effective at improving core strength which will increase your poundages on your other traditional exercises.

I guess it would help if you could post your current weight training routine. Then I could give some more accurate advice and ideas of functional exercises for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:09 am 

I really think it depends on how you define coordination.

I know personally that oly lifting and odd object lifting mixed with carrying weight held in different positions has made me more well-rounded athletically and in terms of strength and conditioning.

I personally never use isolation movements as i am interested in total body or body-as-one-piece strength and conditioning. So i can't comment on losing coordination from bodybuilding type routines comprised of isolation moves and i can't really fathom any particular movements that would result in lost coordination.

Perhaps you could find the articles you were reading to give us some specifics?

As far as coordination goes, you really need to define the coordinated efforts you want to develop and PRACTISE them. Coordination really just comes as a result of practise. Practise the clean and jerk and you will coordinate all of the necessary movements within your body to perform the movement better. Same goes for you fingers when practising the guitar or piano. Ditto for your tennis serve, jumping hurdles.

-Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've never had a problem with it. I have never heard anyone else mention it. I've never brought it up though, because I've never heard of that before. I'd think it's a myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:05 am 
n00b
n00b

A routine of mine , would be 10 minutes of 5 chins , 10 push ups , and 15 squats then run tread mill 10 minutes , then do another 10 minutes of chins pushups squats. then ill do abit of stomach work followed by either over head squats 5 x 8 or clean press with dumbells (not too heavy). I take most of my work outs from crossfit and add to them.
As for the coordination i understand it being specific to what excercise you do. what i meant was im intrested in excercise that will help me have coordination over all of my body with power and strenght. Like i used to wrestle and alot of the guys that where pumped up and big lacked alot co ordination ecspecially when they where trying to learn a new move. the articles i read where on www.athletes.com. i mean even with an excercise like burpees you see alot of guys do it badly not because its hard , but becuse there uncordinated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:08 am 
n00b
n00b

the routine 5 chins , 10 push ups , 15 squats is continuos till ten minutes is up no break

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:37 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Definately sounds like you've found Crossfit. The workout you described is "cindy". Most anything you see over there is geared towards GENERAL fitness and coordination. Several good ones you might like to try combo workouts, like powercleans into a front squat and come up into a pushpress, let the bar down to the back of your neck, go into a back squat and come up into a behind neck pushpress. Thats one rep. That will teach you coordination, for O lifting anyway. Coordination is pretty specific to the movement you are using. However, regular exercises done in a general fitness/recreational bodybuilding manner certainly won't detract from any coordination.
Coach Javorek trains a lot of wrestler's and other types of athletes in addition to O lifting. You might want to look over some of his complexes and combo lifts. Between that and crossfit, you should have plenty of good ideas.
http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html
Tim