ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

so all these recents posts have got me asking myself this question. i recently posted here about a full day or split workout and received lots of useful information. so now i'm going to ask, is there such a thing as to much cardio? again, the goal is weight loss.

so i started exercising a month ago by doing 35 minutes of cardio four times a week on an elliptical. what i do is keep a brisk pace for as long as i can and when needed, slow down until i can get back to a fast pace. i don't time it or anything, i just go as fast as i can that is not to fast to maintain for a long time, but still challenging. according to the machine, my heartrate is at about 170 bpm when keeping the fast pace, and about 155-160 bpm at the slower pace. by no means is this easy. it's quite a challenge for me, but i can do it.

i've never considered the different 'zones' i've read about, nor given them much thought.

i was thinking about adding, in addition to what's listed above, 30 minutes of walking on a treadmill at an incline. not running, just walking. my question is, is that to much cardio? is there a point there it becomes counterproductive to weightloss?

i am tired when i'm done, but i make it a point to get at least eight hours sleep and i think that really helps. and i stretch first thing every morning and i feel good. the first few weeks were tough, but now it's less tough.

eventually i will run on the treadmill, but right now i'm to heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:11 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Since you talked about full or spit, I'm assuming you are incorporating weights into your routine. Thats a good thing. I would never advise trying it with cardio alone.
As to too much cardio. Well, I doubt if what you're describing is too much. You are going brisk, slowing down, and repeat, and thats a pretty good thing. Similar to fartlek training, unstructured intervals. I've never worried one little bit about "target zones", and doubt seriously if you have to for your purposes. As to how much is too much, well, you just have to listen to your body. If what you are doing is a combination of weights and what you liste, and you aren't feeling fatigued and sluggish, then try adding on the treadmill thing you described. If you start feeling fatigued and sluggish, then drop it. If not, go for it. Only you can really determine that.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:41 pm 
n00b
n00b

hi Tim. thanks for the quick response. i am incorporating weights into my routine.

so i will try it and see what it's like. obviously if it's to much, i won't do it, but i didn't know if there was such a thing as to much cardio (for weight loss). thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 am 
Novice
Novice

Lifting weights will burn more calories faster than cardio.

When I used to do a ridiculous amount of cardio on the track team, I lost 25 pounds in what seemed like a month. I had even better results doing a very high amount of lifting, losing twice as fast. But I had a stricter diet.

I guess my point is, don't rule out increased intensity in your weight routine as an equal alternative to cardio for weight loss purposes, all other things being equal.