Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:49 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

bigsid wrote:
George G wrote:
It is actually more work than you are currently doing because you are using more demanding exercises.

If you need something clarified, just ask.

I'm so confused about the best lifting schedule and cardio:

Currently:
Day 1 Chest/Triceps (3 exercises each/3 sets x 10 reps) then,
30 min bicycle ride 85% max heart rate
Day 2 60 min bicycle ride 75% max heart rate
Day 3 Back/Biceps (3 exercises each/3 sets x 10 reps) then,
Day 4 60 min bicycle ride 75% max heart rate
Day 5 Legs/Shoulders/Abs (3 exercises each/3 sets x 10 reps) then,
Day 6 60 min bicycle ride 75% max heart rate
Day 7 OFF

I have read that it is better to do a full body workout 3x week. I have read that too much cardio stunts muscle growth. I haven't lost any body fat and I have been working serious for about 45 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sid

If your goal is fat loss, then I would recommend a lifting scheudle as described above. I think the amount of stead-state cardio you are doing is counter productive to fat loss. I would cut out all the post-lifting 30 min sessions completly and replace t he 60 min sessions with 20 minutes of HIIT (do a search).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the advice George. Just finished my first session of high intensity. What a ball buster.

Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:34 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

bigsid wrote:
Thanks for the advice George. Just finished my first session of high intensity. What a ball buster.

Sid

You are welcome. You diet plays an important role in fat loss, so make sure you get that under control as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:35 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

I'll second George's comment on diet. It's probably the most important thing. I really don't want to open a can of worms on which diet is best, lots of different opinions out there, and most diets do work if you follow them. Big arguments going on over on Bryce's board and crossfit about the paleo type diet. Someon even brought it up on our diet forum. I just like Berardi's ideas best, as he deals more in generalities rather than getting into specifics. Very easy to follow.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... ting_2.htm
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the heads up on diet. I've been trying to clean it up. I'm on a quest for that six pack. I gave up the 12 pack, sweets, sat. fat, most red meat,etc. My new DIEt is oatmeal,salad,chicken breast, protein shakes,salmon,veggies. But I still eat late at night (cheerios,peanut butter,etc.) Is that too bad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:18 pm 

I don't think it's a bad thing, just keep an eye out on portion control. Keep it fairly small and it will help keep you too much catabolism dueing the nights fast. Some with a low GI load would probably be best, i.e. slower digesting. I'm not sure I would choose cereal, but cheeros don't have a lot of added junk, and a small amount probably wouldn't hurt. Peanut butter is not a bad choice at all, just watch the portions, it is fairly heavy in calories, but is slow digesting, and will dribble the nutrients in during the fasting period. Personally , I'd go for something like cottage cheese and a piece of fruit, but just keep a record of it, and if you have problems shedding weight, loose the cereal. But frankly, if I've learned anything over my 50 plus years, moderation is the key in the long run as far as fat loss goes. There really are no bad foods, some are just much better than others in being nutrient dense, yet light in total calories, i.e fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean protein sources. I would think that as long as you didn't go into Burger King and supersize with a double whopper, biggie fries, and superduper size of coke, it would be fine
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks again for the diet advice. Just bought a digital food scale to monitor portions. Also the Berardi article looks very interesting. Next stop, calorie deficit, hopefully.

Sid