Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Body Improvement
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:41 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello Everybody,

I am 18 years old, 6'0" and I weigh 170 lbs. For the last 15 years of my life I have been a active athlete and have never stopped playing sports especially soccer. Now I have never done anything to improve the size of my muscles or my muscle appearance expect for bench pressing and some leg exercises every once in a while. I would now like to put on a little bigger muscular chest, show some definition in the abs and improve my arms.

Is there anything you can suggest to help me achieve my goal? I also want to mention that I have read around and understand lots of the body fitness termanology so feel free to get me started on a plan.

You can post a response here or feel free to e-mail me with your advice at xisintheend@gmail.com

Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:31 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

As a point of departure, let me say this - it is hard to gain size and improve definition at the same time. In theory it's possible, but real people don't live in a theoretical world.

You should probably start a routine using basic exercises (like this one) and up your daily caloric intake modestly until you gain the size that you want. Then you can work on reducing fat via cardio and/or dietary changes.

Some of the other members of the forum, I'm sure, can provide you with more detailed information.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:36 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Stephen. You never cease to amaze me. Great article. I used to read Ironman many years ago, and it's good to see that they are keeping up their great reputation, I also loved the powerblocks plug in the upper right. I have a set, and would advise anyone that wants quick change to get a pair. Remember though, I bought them over ten years ago, and they only cost me a little over a hundred bucks. I have absolutely no idea what the go for today.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:16 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

TimD

Thanks for the kind words. I can recommend the routine in Ironman because I've used it before in my own training many times. Ironman is the best of the "muscle magazines" for useful training info for ordinary gym rats.

As for the Power Blocks, ordering information is here. You're right - their price tag has gone up ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thank you Stephen,
That looks like a great page and I will stay dedicated to a routine whatever it turns out to be. I'll let you guys know how its going along when I figure something out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:47 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hey guys do you suggest I be using free weights or what? Currently I have a bench and bunch of dumbells lying around I was just gonna use that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea free weights are the best for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:54 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

For people who're starting out lifting, I recommend joining a gym or your local Y if you don't have access to a knowledgeable trainer. Also, you will need more than a bench and a couple of dumbbells in the way of equipment to make long term progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:49 am 

Well, I agree that having some knowledgeable trainer to start out with would be a good thing. However, I think that for his purposes, in just starting out, DB's and a bench are more than enough. Yes, a barbell and some type of stands are essential to squatting, and could also be used for other major exercises, but I've seen plenty of beginning programs comprised of about 80% DB training. IMHO, you might as well start out with what you have, but yes, in the long run, more and heavier equipment will be necessary.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am really scared for people who need to find a personal trainer. I am not sure how one goes about finding a good one. Advertisements maybe? All I know is the ones I see at my gym are so mind blowingly stupid, I cringe on a daily basis seeing what goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:25 am 

Well, Ironman, I tend to agree with you. My first trainer was my HS football and wrestling coach, who was a competitive lifter in OL and the very early beginnings of powerlifting, so I got off to a good start. But, if you go to a reputable club, that allows and teaches some type of PL and OL, you can usually find a couple of good trainer/coaches that can teach you the finer points of form. And that way he could do a few sessions, get the feel of it, and then go out on his own.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I feel the same way about the trainers at my gym, and most gyms I've trained at. I would suggest he do some reading first and possibly pickup some training videos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

Actually I should have mentioned this but with the Bench I do have a Barbell and 100 lbs of weights that came along with it. Its just a basic weider bench I picked up in K-Mart a few years back for 50 bucks.

As far as the form and everything goes I've read alot into that because I know that its essential to keep your body in the right position to maximize results and more importantly avoid injury. One site I found came up with some good advice is this one.
http://www.hydroxycut.com/MEN/WORKOUT/index.shtml

In the past I have also relied on this website to teach me how to do exercises which teaches warms up, tips of form, and good animations.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

I also like the idea you gave me about the training videos and I will probably go to the local library and for sure find some there, and also my college library is sure to have some books on the subject which could give me advice hard to find on the net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That'll work. I learned everything I know from books, videos and web sites, including this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:29 am 
Novice
Novice

You know I saw some power blocks for cheap at Play-It-Again Sports...