ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:09 pm 

Here is my typical workout routine. I vary the exercises/order/reps/weight, use push/pulls etc. and have been doing this for severaly years with much personal success. I want to do something maybe stupid.
Sunday Chest:
Flat bench & flies
Incline bench & flies
Decline bench & flies

Monday Legs
Squats
Presses
Lunges
curls
lifts
calf raises

Tuesday Arms
Superset
Preacher curls, monkey curls, hammer curls, barbell curls with close grip bench, tricep pressdowns, skull crushers, dumbell tricep press

Weds back
Deadlift, bent over rows, cable rows, cable pull downs, dumbell rows

Friday Shoulders
Press, upright rows, hang cleans, behind the neck presses, shoulder raises, lawnmower pulls, shrugs, front raises, side raises. oooo I love Fridays.

Here is what I am toying with. I have never included olympic lifting in my routine. I am thinking about working on the clean and jerk and the snatch on Saturday. I know at first, I'll have to learn how to lift them and overtraining shouldn't be a concern. Probably nothing more than the bar until I am proficient with the movement. As I progress, learn, increase weight and include support exercise, will I be in danger of overtraining? I need something to fill my Saturday with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:07 pm 

Well, you are doing hang cleans on Fridays with shoulders so I would drop those if you are going to olympic lift on Saturday. You could do the overhead part of the clean and jerk on friday as part of your shoulder work, push press, push jerks etc. This would leave only the clean portion and the snatch on saturday which really are more similar and would let you focus more on that aspect. This would basically function like a second leg day with an emphasis on power instead of strength and would likely be okay even when you got into very heavy weights. I have actually found that some of my best squatting comes after great olympic workouts so you may find it actually feels better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:31 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Hoosegow. A lot of people will probably scream at me for this reply, but no.I don't think you are in danger of overtraining at all. Now, that said, keep an eye on your intensity and volume. Lots of the international level lifters train 6 X week, multiple times a day, but they limit it by intensity and volume. Listen to your body, and you should do fine. Start out on Saturday with just the empty bar, then work it up to maybe 8 singles of each (C and J and Snatch) at around 80 % or so.
Good training
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:47 pm 

One more thing Hoosegow. I apparently didn't read your post in entirety. If you try to add additional work into your Sat O sessions, well , you just may want to spread it out a bit. In the beginning, it's fine. The way I've traininged lifters in the past, is to do front squats, overhead squats (these will nail you ), push jerks, and for the strength basics, deadlifting up to the second pull position and back squats (I see they are already in your routine) for augmenting strength. I would advise the overhead, and front squats every day, for depth and flexibility purposes. Just use the empty bar or PVC. Stick with some assistance and some non maximal singles on Saturday, and you should be fine. Now, when you get proficient, you may want to switch over to an Oly or a least a hybrid program. All the heavy Oly stuff on a Saturday might be a bit much. Sorry, I know this may sound confusing, but starting out with a minial load should not be a drain, but when it increases, you have to jusggle the intensity and volume.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:06 pm 

Front squats and overhead squats you say do everyday for flexibility. What about for strength? On my leg days (you hate body part training, right ;-), should I add them? Maybe do like 275 on the front squat and 200 with overhead?

I'm not committed to doing olympic lifts yet. I just need something to do on Saturdays, but I don't want to overtrain.

On another note, thanks for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:42 pm 

I'm not really into bodypart training, but that said, your basic schedule doesn't look bad. Yes, I usually front and overhead squat every day, usualoly in the form of some complex. Keeps me flexible, and usually doesn't take a lot of weightI general do 2 strength oriented days a week, focusing on the various squats, RDL's and clean and pushpress. I general do complexes 6 times a week, and use them as warmups intoheavier sets. If you can do 275 on the overheads, you're very good. Most people start out with an empty bar, due to all the flexibility required. I would just with learning the lifts and getting proficiency on Saturdays, and do light form practice as part of your warmup on the other days, if you're serious about learning the moves
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:58 am 

Oh, good gosh, no on the overhead. I was thinking more around 185 - 200. Thanks again Tim.