ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:02 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I can't really tell about the site. I can get to it, but my WEBTV doesn't support the flash player. However, just from the title pages, it looks to be very compehensive. I'm partial to the body map here at this site, simply because I'm familiar with it. As to exercises, I rattled off some earlier, but shrugs rows, the various presses and lateral raises to include the reverse fly should all be good. Personally, I like to keep it simple and generally stay with snatches and clean and pushpress, which all keep the shoulder elevation wiell rounded. Keith brough up an old timer by the name of John Grimik a week or two ago, who probably had one of the best physiques at that time, who specialized in strength feats, overhead lifting, as well as physique development. Unversities used him as a model for anatomy classes, hand he very rarely benched much, except as an assistance exercise for the overhead work.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bent over rows and shrugs together will get all the traps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

Learn to squat, paying attention to form. It takes quite an effort at first to keep your back straight and shoulders from hunching over as you squat deeper and deeper. Then use the memory of that posture throughout the day as a guide. This technique has done wonders for my lifelong lower back problems. I just don't get into a vulnerable posture anymore.

You don't even need to start with any weight, just a broomstick or something similar will do. It's the position that's important for posture.

There are some good links to squatting sites back a couple of months on the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:06 am 
n00b
n00b

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I suffer from the same posture as the original poster. Part of my routine includes bent over rows, shrugs, incline and decline sit-ups. I have not been isolating my obliques as of yet but I will attempt to do so.

Can anyone give any further advice on how I can correct my posture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:27 am 
former lurker

I'd like to second learning how to squat. Both my husband and I slip into this posture if we're not careful with our lifestyle... I corrected mine, but my husband never did because he refused to do the exercises :) He's a climber and has a very strong back, in areas, and abdominals.. but that doesn't mean good posture or body balance.

Squatting and deadlifting including romanian deadlifts really really helped me, as does stretching pecs multiple times every day. Lunges as well. I'd bet your glutes are under developed with that posture. Your upper back is too weak compared to the tightness of your chest, so you can decide which exercises you do to balance that out, but I just find that the ones that enforce the entire posture in general (like bent over rows) rather than isolating a particular upper back muscle to be the most effective. Stretch your hamstrings as well.

If you spend a lot of time sitting, like at a computer or in a car, be conscious of how you are sitting. Put a reminder somewhere that will make you sit up straight, pull back your shoulders and your head and stop slouching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:06 pm 
n00b
n00b

I have a set of dumbbells and I use them for lunges. My hamstrings are weak and not very flexible but I am working on improving both those issues. I hope, over a period of time, that my posture is going to improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:45 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I am currently correcting the same problem and have made some good progress.

I highly recommend this

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=314nean2

This is a 5 part article series, it starts off explaining everything then gives you a few tests to run through and helps you choose corrective exercises.

With this type of problem there is no "one size fits all answer" but in general, this type of posture requires strengthening / activation of the glutes, lower traps,serratus Antrior, External Rotators (see external rotation exercises). You will also require some kind of soft tissue work for tight / overactive muscles wuch as pec minor, upper traps & levator scapulae, hip flexors, adductors.

This is very general but very common weaknesses. Basically you have lots of weak / inhibited muscles that need strengthened and you also have tight, over active muscles that need losened up, and some times lengthened i.e. upper traps / levator scapulae which help 'pull' your head forward.

Fix your day to day posture as well, shoulders down and back - chest out.

Sorry for rushed response and probably lots of typo's as well.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thank you for the response. I will go over this website with a fine tooth comb :)

I have noticed my posture is starting to improve some as I continue to stick with my workout routine. I am starting to enjoy the results!