ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gym information
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:23 am 

My gym is being bought out by YMCA. I'm probably going to cancel my membership when it does. My experiences with them (other than playing pop warner football) has been less than wonderful. I need some suggestions. The only criteria I have is that I travel A LOT and would like to have a membership that travels with me. I do have a World's gym near by.

What does everyone think about them?

Is there an independent gym network that would allow me to workout at gyms throughout the country? I would prefer this option. I am a local/little man supporter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know Gold's does. So that's another option for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:09 am 

Gold's isn't around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:50 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Hoosegow. The last time I was in a YMCA, it was a pretty decent experiece. Granted, that was back in the early 80's, and you paid by the day back then. I thought it was great, they had the cardio machines up top, and had two separate rooms, one for free weight with benches, racks, etc, and anothoer with Nautilus machines. I thought it was a well thought out plan. Now, again, this was Burbank Ca. Now I have all my own stuff, keep it on the back porch. The last time I was in Gold's was 1994, and it was a bit expensive, but it is a national chain and might be what you are looking for.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:44 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I used to train at a Golds in York, PA. It was much less expensive than any YMCA I've seen, and a lot more conducive to hard training (in terms of equipment and atmousphere)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:01 am 
Novice
Novice

I love Gold's personally..

Even if you have to travel a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:51 pm 

I don't believe there is a Gold's within 40 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:34 pm 
former lurker

The YMCA rocks.
I would wait and see if they homor your membership there.
The AWAY program is great, that is you travel and get to use the Y anywhere in the country uo to two weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:47 am 

Two weeks at a time or two weeks out of the year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:17 am 

Just an update. I've given the Y two months and am not pleased. The rush expected when it first took over has not seemed to have subsided. They took away one of the two squat racks and have no plans to bring it back. Who in their right mind only has one power rack?!?!? They allow kids aged 10 and up to use the equipment. Jr high and high school kids are monopolizing the weights, but as you can imagine, they are engaged in graba$$ing and general tomfoolery. I do not begrudge anyone who is there to work, but come on. I watched four kids +/- 14 years old mill around a bench press for about 15 minutes. Maybe a total of 8 lifts were done. At one time, a kid tried to push up 135. His buddy had to help at about 3 inches from his chest. I guess he thought he could get it the next rep and the same thing happened. They giggled like school girls.

I almost killed a young girl (around 10 years old) yesterday. I was rowing and having to share the one rack with a guy who was squatting. I was rowing what he was squatting, so no big deal. He was cool about letting me jump in (though we both lamented the only one rack situation). Anyway, I unracked the weight and backed up past the spot rack. I was just about to drop the weight to my hips when I feel a slight bump on the bar. Apparently the girl need to get to the stretching area (that's where the 2nd rack was) quickle and decided to duck under my bar, lightly grabbing it as she went by.

I've talked to the manager about all this. Twice he said he was looking into it. I don't think he has ever pushed anything heavier that some papers. The first opportunity I have to drop a weight on a kid, I'm going to take it. Then, after feeling real bad, I'm going to look right into the managers eyes as I tell the jury, "I told you this was going to happen." No, I really wouldn't do that on purpose.

I am looking into other gyms. That is too bad. I really liked my gym.