ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:59 pm 
former lurker

Does anyone know enough about crohns disease to help me create a simple exercise prescription for a client with crohns where weight loss is the goal. (keeping in mind that she is a beginner, as well)

-LKF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really don't see how anything but a close and readably accessible bathroom would have anything to do with it. It is a condition that involves the digestive system and not the musculature. There are no lifts that have any effect on the intestines or colon and crohns is confined to those two organs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:20 am 

Actually, Ironman, high rep and/or heavy squatting motions can aggravate a condition that involves frequent, uncomfortable bowel movements. This is due to one of the physiological benefits of squatting - more frequent bowel movements. SO if someone's condition is aggravated by frequent bowel movements, or someone is interested in reducing the number of bowel movements he/she has, squatting motions might be an issue, especially under high-rep/heavy resistance conditions.

Some interesting articles here

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jul/28/fear_the_squat.htm

Having said that, i am not an expert on crohn's, but this might be of consideration.

Now, on a different note, if the program Fish is looking for is only cardio - i agree, there shouldn't be an issue.

Perhaps, FIsh, you could give a little more info regarding current situation and targets/goals and someone here can help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Crohn's disease involves joint pain and fatigue also. Any exercise program must work around those two when they show their ugly heads. Other than that, I would start the client off with a regular beginner program. If the main goal is weight loss, then the same three approaches would work- diet, cardio and lifting. If the disease is in remission, the client should be able to progress normally. It's when the disease is active, that caution should be taken.

My husband has Crohn's and he could do a regular program, except that he hates the gym and exercise. Mind you, he spends 4-6 hours on the golf course 5 days a week, but golf is basically a low intensity exercise. He does find that he has to bring a lot of snacks to keep going. He is just accepting the fact that he is getting older, and maybe he can't do what he used to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I should add that many Crohn's sufferers get to know their limits each day. So, if she stops the exercise on a particular day, she probably knows what she is doing and in reality can't go on. Be prepared for interruptions.