Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What did I do wrong?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello!

I re-started exercising in March, started my diet in May. 40P:30Ch:30F . At least I tried. I am 29, 5'6" right now 118lb (a month ago I was 113).
My main issue is my legs and hips. I wanted thinner legs and get rid off the fat I have on my outer thights, my belly and other parts are OK, forst loose from face and breasts. So I had 2 leg's days, and 1 day of each other group -usually biceps+back, tri+shoulder, abs and calves 3 times. I used weights I could handle, and around the "end" of my plan I started doing leighter weights and slow in the beginning of the exircise for 2-3 reps, then heavier weights.. (calves don't develop eventhough I can lift 400Lb for 7 reps 3 times..) I usually spent 2 hours in the gym, around the time I started with the lighter weights

Instead of getting thinner thights, they got Thicker and seriously, kinda depressing. I see no visible muscle, maybe a little on my shoulders and back, I have definetally more strenght, that's all. Then I went for vacation and saw no result so I decided to eat whatever I ate before because I technically looked the same I just spent hours in the gym and money on food..

I didn't eat bread or any wheat, only oatmeal or cream of wheat but for breakfast. I didn't eat fruits. I didn't drink milk but I ate fat free cottage cheese. I also ate an. peanut butter, almonds, protein powder after exercise or when I wanted to eat something. I had one cheat meal or an afternoon per week.

I don't know what I did wrong and other people, including those whose result I've seen told me to do this kind of exercise. This one muscle a week, etc.

Could it be hormonal?Why that tough "fat-ball" from under my butt on the tight won't move???

Thank you very much!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

If you are 29, 5'6" and 118 lbs, your BMI is 19.10, a nice number. Because you are already down to losing the last bit of body fat, it will be more difficult to reach your goal. I don't think your goal should be scale weight, but body fat percentage. Have you had your BF% measured?

Unfortunately, we cannot decide which areas will lose body fat. Your genetics determine that. You may be putting on muscle, but just can't see it yet. Research this site, under exercises, and build a program for muscle gain. Light weights won't cut it. Try different splits; the one I really like is the push/pull split. Vary your program so that for a few months you work each group once a week, and for a while, you work them twice a week. Don't neglect cardio, although your focus should be on muscle development.

Push for increasing the weights on your lifts fairly regularly. When you first increase the weight, you won't be able to do many reps, but do the few you can until you can do it with good form; then increase the reps with good form until you are ready to increase the weight again. Compound exercises work the best; you only need a few isolation sets towards the end of your workout. Two hours in the gym may be a sign that you are attempting too much; this leads to overtraining. By keeping your workouts to 60-90 minutes max at your utmost intensity, you are working smarter, not less. Remember, that every 4-12 weeks, you should give your muscles and CNS a rest and do only light weights for a week.

The other factor is your diet. One cheat meal, and cheating while on vacation, are acceptable, but for the most part, you should be very conscious of the nutrition you take in. You need to take in enough calories to support muscle development, but not so many that you have the excess converted to fat. Make sure your diet is balance. As far as I am concerned, some fruit in the diet doesn't hurt and does provide micronutrients you can't get anywhere else. Any diet that completely eliminates a food group is not balanced. Play around with different caloric intakes to see what works for you. Fewer calories are not always the answer.

You have been exercising for three months now, and I can tell you that it always takes longer than we want to reach our goals. Be patient; develop a long-range plan; stick to the basics, and give it time.

Hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:21 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Northernbelle gave you great advice I won't cut into her advice. Just a note on you're diet though. I think you have the right idea, ut do not otally cut out fruit. Fruit is your friend, just keep an eye out not to over do it. I have been low carbing (not as in Atkins, but low carb as opposed to the normal American diet) . I rarely eat bread or pasta, or starchy vegetables, but keep in mind carbs are not bad. You need them. My rule of thumb is to keep them from fibrous sources, and if you stuck to green beans, cabbage, cauliflour, salads, etc, you would have to eat truck loads to keep up the percentages you stated. Thats where fruit comes in. yes, they can be a bit heavy in carbs and sugar, but most are low GI, and full of fiber. Meaning, eat a pece to get your carb % up, and you will find it goes a long way and will keep your energy up. Also, don't forget legumes; beans, peas, etc. They're great too. Yes, heavy in carbs, but again, they;re fibrous, and fairly low GI, and when used in moderation, are great. Portion control applies to both.
Eat your fruits, do not drink them is another good rule. Granted, a small glass of juice in the morning, when your body can best accept it (or after a workout) is a pretty good idea, just don't get caught in the trap that most parents do, and that is having their kids drink juice instead of water throughout the day. No wonder the US has a child obesity problem. Juice and colas all day long.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:12 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you're building muscle faster than you're shedding bodyfat your legs may get thicker (at least initially). That isn't neccessarity a bad thing though, since they'll also be more shapely and muscular.

Meanwhile, if you want chicken legs, you may want to quit the lifting and take up distance running. Personally, I wouldn't recomend it though, since I prefer lean and shapely to just plain skinny.

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:36 am 
n00b
n00b

Thank you very much for all of you!

Yes, I want skinnier legs, but not chicken legs. Actually, my bodyshape is more like a pear is a stanting triangle, so I have wide hips -can even feel the bone..- but I still believe a thinner leg is possible.

I had done the bigger weight, once a week. But I saw NO result in gaining muscles, just thickening, I scaled myself for just curiousity, I no I shouldn't think of scale weight much, so I didn't.

I ate about 1100-1300 Cal a day.

I didn't take supplements thus, I had Vitamin C and Calcium somtimes, protein powder -after workout and whenever I had no food available (Isopure prot. powder or Ispopure prot. no Carb. cold drink)

I bought now Omega 3-6-9 and planning to get some Multivitamin too, also ordered Thermogen. pills.

Thank you for advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:19 pm 
n00b
n00b

Oh, and I didn'T drink much of water. Is this could be the problem? I just felt so bloated after drinking a glass of regular water. EVen when I am thursty I drink sugar free soda, I can drink a lot more from these then water, don't know why, it just does not have the "weight" if you know what I mean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:48 pm 

Hi Kogy. 1100-1300 kcal a day? Even at your size, that seems way too low. Try to break it up and spread over 4-6 meals/ day. 1600 sounds more in the ball park. I won't go into it more, as Northernbelle (as a lady) alread gave you very good advice to women and spot reducing. A note on water though. Yes, water can make you feel, in the short run, as you are bloated. However, from my experences, the first thing I do when feeling bloated, is to drink water. Lots of it. You may feel bloated, and may find yourself on the toilet most of the time, but it will knock it all out of you really quickly.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:55 pm 
n00b
n00b

1100-1300C. when I was 112 Lb. As I was suggested.

Yes, water and drinking liquid, so embarrasing..to go to the bathroom in every 10 mins, not exadurating!

I did one muslce group 1 time a week, 2 times legs only, Mon and Fri, and the plan didn't work.

As somebody in a weight loss topic here said, I don't mind loosing the muscle but I had enough of not loosing the excess fat!

Food was OK I believe, 40% protein, sometimes went over with carbs or fat a little over 30%, like 34 but as in calories, I was OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:33 am 

Hi again Kogy. I think that for your needs (and most people) that unless you are into bodybuilding for a contest, you really shouldn't worry about bodyparts. Do a full workout, doesn't matter which parts you use, as long a the body is huffing and puffing. Mix it up a bit, and do NOT try to spot change. Crossfit.com has a lot of good ideas on this subject. You may like them, you may not, but please take a look. Another path would be to do traditional workouts, full body, and do them circuit style. The idea in both methods is to set up a calorie deficit, and gear up the metabolosim You will probably find that your target areas will be the last to go, and thats normal. But, for your size and specs, you don't seem to be far off the mark, and results will probably come sooner than later.
Tim