ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:09 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi,

Im doing an indpenedant study for my school on postactivation potentiation.

Does anyone has information about this subject they could share with me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:12 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

LOL, Nick, I would bet most people wouldn't even know what that is. Before I go to the good old search button, could you briefly explain it to us. Tks.
Tim

Post subject: PAP
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:15 pm 
n00b
n00b

Well, basically it is an increase in muscle twitch firing capabilities and low intesity tetanic force output after certain conditioning activities. So, some research shows that by performing certain power based activities a certain amount of time prior to an event, the athlete will be at a peak in muscle firing and therefore jump/sprint futher higher and faster etc. This is said to have an acute affect only.

Im looking for any extra info into this. Anyone done tests? read studies? have own knowledge etc...

thanks.

Post subject: PAP
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

So, i read a bit more...and some studies say it only works for low intensity stuff like endurence runs and some says it works well for high intensity stuff...so i dont know...

im a going to test in on many people this semester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:09 pm 

I was unsure of what you were talking about at first but now I get it.

I did have this experience and have heard of others having this experience with lifting weights prior to throwing.

Mostly olympic variations were used but I would definately say they had a quickening effect on my body and they lightened the implements considerably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 am 
Novice
Novice

So are we talking about a "swinging in the on deck circle with a weighted bat" effect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:39 am 

Hey Jumper, OK, I know about what you are describing. If you go to drsquat.com, you may find some info on this. I remember back in the day he used to tie this in with the Golgi (sp?) tendon response. Basically, before he deadlifted, he would do vertical leaps. Another program I've used in the past had you doing heavy singles in the squat, followed by 10 bodyweight vertical leaps. Interesting ideas.
Tim

Post subject: for my study
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:50 pm 
n00b
n00b

yeah thanks Tim..

so now a few of you understand it...

i am going to do study which will be presented at an NSCA conference by myself and my tutor.

can you think of any ideas as to what and how i could test it...? i dont just want to do the usual, have someone lift heavy and then jump and then jump without lifting heavy first later on and measure the difference in jump height. I want to make it interesting and different. Im sure you haev read millions of journals tim, what would you reccomend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:59 am 

Well there isnt really another way to test it unless you measure muscle activation via some device.

And honestly, you will likely get a lot of criticism for having untrained subjects and in this case I think that is pretty valid. There are too many variables to correct for and there is no telling what kind of variation you could get.

Getting athletes to do it would probably be your best bet, especially if they were from explosive sports with strong weight training backgrounds.

Perhaps the best idea would be to take groups with large pools of athletes and split the athletes into two groups for each team. Football, basketball, volleyball etc. You could analyze individual statistics for each sport and then correlate the results (hopefully) across all sports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:33 pm 

Hey Jumper. You are giving me way too much credit. I'm going to defer to Ryan's ideas. I think he's on the money. Good luck at the conference.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:26 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jumper, what kind of time lapse are you looking at between the two events? I know that I get at least a 4 inch increase on my vertical leap the day after heavy legs (compared to a regular day, I have no real measurements other than on a regular day I can dunk sometimes whereas on a heavy leg day or a leg day involving resistance bands I'm throwing down hard...sometimes with 2 hands).

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

well, everything i read about this said that it is an acute affect and that happens without 5-20 mins of the actual resistance work, so doing it the next day wont help me. That is intersting though, because as a long jumper i would never lift heavy the day before a comp but maybe ill try it. Thanks though.