which is better stress reliever?
cardio 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
strength training 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: is this normal?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:05 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Though I used to be a runner and could easily run 60 mins, I quit for a while. I started running again like 3 or 4 weeks ago and could barely do 20-25 mins. Now...about a month later...I can easily do an hour. Do you think is because of weightlifting with shorter breaks and swimming on my off days, or the fact that not too long ago (about 8 months) I used to be able to run forever? Granted...it took me a couple of months to get up to an hour before...and I am not complaining of course, but just wondering if I am going to fast and will crash shortly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:14 pm 

Endurance is easily lost and gained compared to strength type gains.

It is for this reason that distance runners should train strength as much as possible up until the time before competition, taking the minimal time to get back in shape. Their strength gains will then help make them better runners throughout the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:00 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I don't know about stress relievers. But on heavy cardio days I find that falling asleep is easier and the sleep lasts longer. The key, though, is to get it done at least 3 hours before bedtime.

Still, it's a good feeling when you leave the gym pumped up, especially after you've set a personal best on some lift. Close, but I'll give the nod to cardio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:48 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Guess I should mention this...I have also heard of something I had no idea about. Exercises like strength training and sprints mostly burn carbohydrates in the bloodstream during the exercises, while long cardio exercises like jogging or cycling use more fat than carbs. If your looking to burn a bunch of fat cals during the exercise, does anyone know if there is any truth to this? (this might deserve to go in diet/nutrtion, but since its somewhat relevant to my post, thought I would ask)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:53 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

That may be true, in the immediate physical sense. HOWEVER, and a big HOWEVER, the effects of sprints and weights have a lasting effect on the metabolism, (see anaerobic exercixe) whereas aerobics do no. I.e they kick up the metabolism and burn more calories at rest. The next time I hear how aerobics are better than sprints, weightsm etc, I am going to scream.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:18 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

heh, sorry about driving ya nuts. I didn't necessarily mean that one was better then the other, I just think its quite ironic because long distance runners or cyclists seem to think massive of amount of carbs are required, while weightlifters and bodybuilders think massive amounts of protein are required...when it seems like the reverse should be happening (at least...pre-workout)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:13 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Bodybuilders and strength atheletes take in lots of protien to alow for adaquate recovery, not to fuel their workouts. They take in less carbohydrates because their workouts tend to be shorter than those of endurance atheletes.

PS.) I've heard that, in recent years, endurance atheletes have begun including more protein in their diets, especially in events like the Tour to France where compedetors need to perform at their peak day after day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:15 pm 

Also, bodybuilders diet severly prior to contests. Maintaining high protien intake durring this time helps them maintain muscle mass while shedding bodyfat (although some muscle loss in inevitable).