ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:15 pm 
n00b
n00b

When I do dumbell bench presses I get pains in my wrists that quickly go away as soon as I'm done with my set, but they do impair my ability to get the most out of my reps. Is my form just messed up? Is there a muscle group i'm neglecting? Or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:22 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Np offense meant, but trying to diagnose yourself and get answers on the internet is NOT the way to attack a physical problem. You could end up hurt worse than you started out. My advice, go to a PT (physical therapist) or a sports MD, have them wath you and advise you. Most big athletic clubs have someone capable and can guide you at no cost for the initial consultation. Be smart, and be safe. My best guess is you need to strengthen your wrists, but you really need to see a professional.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:06 pm 
n00b
n00b

I appreciate the advice but, I really don't think its a medical issue. I should've been more clear in my post and given a little background. I've been lifting since December 05 and my chest excercises have been mainly on the chest press machine, dips, and the smith machine. I just recently started branching out and experimenting and that's where i noticed my wrists hurting during dumbell presses. So, i'm pretty sure it has do with my form; what I'm looking for are suggestions/advice on proper grip and form for dumbell presses and some strengthening tips for my wrists as you had suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:28 pm 

OK, Gotcha. Hope it is NOT medical. For form on the DB bench, you can either keep elbows out or in, depending on if you are working mainly chest or the triceps. I understand you have mainly used machines, and that isn't a bad thing, it just means you have really never needed to incorporate stabilizing muscles. I would advise, that which ever your concentration lies, keep the palms semi supinated, i.e facing each other. Thats a more natural movement whether you elbows are in or out. I've busted up my shoulders and wrists more times than I can count with a Barbell, using that grip. I have no problems with the DB variety or P bar dips using the palms facing approach. Give it an honest shot, start light, and if it works for you good, if not, get back to us, and/or get a consult.
Tim

Post subject: hmm...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:05 pm 
n00b
n00b

Quote:
I have no problems with the DB variety or P bar dips using the palms facing approach. Give it an honest shot, start light, and if it works for you good, if not, get back to us, and/or get a consult.

Sorry to be weight training newb, but can you define P bar dip please?

Post subject: Re: hmm...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:18 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

DaveRevent wrote:
Sorry to be weight training newb, but can you define P bar dip please?

Parallel Bar Dip, also known as Chest Dip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:57 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Are your wrists bending inward? I find that if I grip each dumbbell with my thumb right up agaist the plates on one side and a space between my pinkie and the plates on the other it eliminates this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I may offer a suggestion it would be to back off on weight until you find a weight that your wrists stop hurting at and slowly progress up from there as your wrists can manage, you may not get the chest/tri workout you're looking for but it will help bring your wrists up to par (and it shouldn't take to long to bring it up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:04 pm 
n00b
n00b

Quote:
Are your wrists bending inward? I find that if I grip each dumbbell with my thumb right up agaist the plates on one side and a space between my pinkie and the plates on the other it eliminates this problem

I can't say whether or not they bend inward at the moment, but I'll pay attention to that next time i'm doing my chest presses and try your suggestion. I usually just hold the dumbell in the center with space between the plate and my thumb and pinky. I'l probably have to try less weight also until I get it figured out. Thanks for all the suggestions, I love the site.