ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:15 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Time for me to take another stab at the Olympic lift prep movements. I did a set of overhead squats with an empty olympic bar yesterday. I completed three sets of 10, but my shoulders are so tight that the bar was moving forward as I did the exercise. Needless to say, this won't do with real weight on the bar. Any advice other than the wall and broomstick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:30 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Probably nothing you aren't already aware of, but what you're experiencing is quite common for most people that don't have an O background. The wall and broomstick are good ideas, but another idea are dislocates. Grab a towel or broomstick with a wide grip,and with straight arms, let the bar down in front of you so it's on the front of your thighs, bring it back up with straight arms until it's overhead, then let it down with straight arms until it's behind you. The wider the grip, the easier the movement. Typically, with an overhead squat, the bar should ust be clearing your head by a couple of inches anyway, and in order to keep the weight over your center f gravity, your arms will be going slightly behind you. Dislocates, broomstick, and much practice3 is what comes to my mind. Anyway, there are currently several threads going on right now over at crossfit.com on the subject in the forums. Just jump in and look around in the "Exercises" section. Lots of good info over there from people more knowledgeable than I.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:51 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Thanks, TimD