ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Need some feedback about static contraction training. Has anyone employed this and how effective is it? Are there adverse effects on joints or tendons from static contraction? One more: How should you alter your workout to accomodate this technique? I don't want to overtrain. Thanks for any input!

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:58 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Keith. Judging from your bio, you've been around. I'm 57, and have done the majority of things being espoused these days. Static contraction is basically isometric work. Yes, I have done it. It works well, in the exact position you perform them in. I firsr learned about this to do it in a sticking point for a major lift. About a month later, my HS track coach came up with these "exergenies", where you dialed up a resistance, held the rope on the feed end, and controlled the flow by pinching the rope to allow no movement. On the exercise end you did your best to move an unmoveable object, for about 10 seconds, then your partner would release, and you would slowly move against the dialed in resistance. It worked pretty well, but keep in mind, coach never had that as the ONLY thing we did. We also did all the OL's and PL's
BTW, I havwen't seen an "ezergenie " in 35 years, but a power rack and a partner can create the same effect.

Post subject: Static Contraction
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, Tim. My first experience with isometric tension was a small booklet I received at age ten, from Charles Atlas. As far as weight training goes, we used to do cheater reps at the YMCA during the late 60's, which is not quite the same. I suppose static contaction is like holding the position you would stop at during a cheater rep, say for 15 seconds. I tried this at the gym today with a variety of compound exercises, finding a point of maximum contraction and holding it there for 15 seconds after eight full reps and the third set. What got me into investigating this topic was a book I thumbed through entitled, Static Contaction, by Peter Sisco and John R. Little. He makes some pretty wild claims and backed them up with real scientific studies using veteran weight lifters who were over age 35. They made some significant gains in muscle mass by using the workout programs featured in the text. What really struck me as odd (and went against my old school-grain) was the text's analysis of full-range motions as coming up very short on peak contraction time. Whereas, the authors propose starting a set at that exact position, where the most muscle fibers are brought into play and holding it there, counting seconds, not reps. That's why I thought this would ultimately lead to tendon and joint problems, and why I thought incorporating this into a set of full-range motions would be better. At my age, I am battling to build new muscle fibers as fast as father time wears down my old ones. Again, thanks for your reply, Tim. I hope to hear from other forum members on this subject, too.

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.