ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:55 pm 
n00b
n00b

My goal is overall maintenance with some strength and size increases. Not looking to get huge. I'm doing what I think would be considered an effective and moderate workout - not too heavy or light, full body 3x a week. I'm thin, so cardio only twice per week.

I've been supplementing with one whey protein shake post workout, or one as a meal replacement on non-workout days. Overall body improvements have been good, except in my stomach. Probably common, but I'm wondering if the extra protein is the culprit, if I need to increase the cardio, or if it's necessary to supplement with protein at all.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:07 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Too many calories will cause you to put on unwanted weight reguardless of whether they come in the form of fats, carbs or protein. However this doesn't neccessarilly mean you should cut your protein intake. You may be better off cutting calories somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look at what else might be in the shake besides protein.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 pm 
n00b
n00b

I mix a scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (24 grams protein) with a tablespoon of: peanut or almond butter, blueberries, lowfat yogurt, oatmeal, flax seed oil and about a cup of 1% milk on non-workout days, or same amount of water for post workout.

Comments from the shake experts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:49 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

magicdad wrote:
I mix a scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (24 grams protein) with a tablespoon of: peanut or almond butter, blueberries, lowfat yogurt, oatmeal, flax seed oil and about a cup of 1% milk on non-workout days, or same amount of water for post workout.

Comments from the shake experts?

I don't know if I qualify as a shake expert, but I'll take a stab at your question.

Although in theory it's possible to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, in most real life situations it is unlikely. Unless you take steroids, gains in muscle are - sadly - accompanied by gains in fat. And in general, the quicker the weight gain, the more likely it is due to fat. For most people, gaining muscle is a chore. But getting fat is easy! If you're trying to bulk up (rather than pork up) it is advisable to aim for no more than a pound a week of weight gain.

My (rough) calculation of the ingredients in your shake comes up with 400-500 calories. That's more of a weight gainer than a post workout shake. Most packaged meal replacements are in the 250 - 350 calorie range. The ingredients in your shake are all healthy and recommended, but I'm not sure that it's the best combination post workout. High glycemic carbs and whey protein deliver nutrition to hungry muscles faster. The fats in peanut butter and flaxseed oil - while good for post workout inflammation - lower the glycemic index, and the fiber in oatmeal slows absorption

As for your stomach, I've seen some pretty lean runners with a bit of a potbelly. Many fit women struggle with their hips and thighs. Most people have a real hard time getting rid of fat from problem areas. With time and effort they improve, but it is not realistic for them to expect to look like fitness models