ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:37 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I just started doing overhead squats this week; I think it will be a good exercise for overall strenght and balance.
My question is how often should I do this exercise; I was planning on doing 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps once a week on the same day as I do my regular squats. Should I do this on a totally different day from the squats or does any one have any suggestions.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:10 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi JS. Overhead squats (OHS) are a great overall exercise, probably doing more good for the cor, shouldle, hip and ankle flexibility than overall leg strength. standAPART mentions them in his article "The battle of gravity and the TVA: in the visitor article section. I would recommend anyoneand everyone read it.
As to the OHS itself, well, I would recommend doing them every session with a PVC pipe or unloaded bar every session for 3X8 or so reps as part of the warmup. This will loosen the whole body up as well as develop flexibility. Now, how to use them as part of your actual workout. If you are using a squat day, as I suspect, and trying to up your poundages, just put them in on that day. Sets, reps are up to you. If you are into actual OL, sets of 3 or so will work. For general fitness, sets of 8 or so are good.
Here is a good article on the subject.
http://danjohn.org/overhead.html
Good training
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

We use overhead squats as a mobility exercise as part of our dynamic warm-up series. They are great for combining triple extension (squat portion) with full upper body extension in the sagittal plane. With this exercise, we can observe lat tightness, hip tightness, and glute weakness--among others.
I really don't add weight to the exercise until I feel teh client is able to perform them with optimal scapular stabilization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:39 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I'm into my third week of using overhead squats in my routine. Flexibility gains are coming slowly (I'm 53 after all :-( ) , but it has gotten easier for me to finish my three sets without fear of falling over. Doing the dislocates as TimD suggested has improved my shoulder flexibility a little.

I agree that the overhead squat is more about range of movement, core stability and balance than building brute leg strength. Bill Pearl has an exercise called the dumbbell swing through that I do before overhead squats. (Holding a relatively light dumbbell overhead with both hands, then squatting while swinging the dumbbell through the legs and then standing up while returning the dumbbell overhead). Between the two, I'm warmed up for my workout. In fact, I've dropped the 5 minutes of pre-weightwork cardio that I used to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Stephan...overhead DB swings from Bill Pearl!!! Those are old skool!! I love it. There was a website that contained alot of old school exercises including Sandow lifts, Jefferson lift, and more and I can't remember it. Alot of those lifts are coming back...so keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:03 am 

Hey standAPART, Stephen. I love DB swings. I'm 57, and they used to be a staple in the warmup when I started out in the 60's. You should see the looks I got a few years ago in a commercial gym when doing them, Then I did the old York course 3 (mixes exercises with repititioin weight lifting) and when I got to the 1 arm BB snatches, I heard "fire in the hole" and the mgr threw me out of the gym. I loved it.
Tim