Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hernia!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Well guys, the stuff has hit the fan.

My Grandpa had it, and my father had TWO.

I have a left inguinal hernia, I saw two doctors; I have surgery on the 15th of September.

How long should I be out of work? (light workshop type stuff on my feet)

How long should I be off my feet?

How long should I be out of the gym?

Here are some details to help: I am 23 years old. The hernia (as you may know) is resulting from a weakness that is inherited; I have felt it twinge every now and then for many years whenever I strained too hard. But now I actually have a hernia. I didn't find it right away... I thought it was gas or a pulled muscle! The hernia dropped down into the testicles, so it is in fact impossible to see, or else I would have caught it when it happened 1-2 months ago (estimate based on hindsight of symptoms). I am currently in mild discomfort. The hernia is retractable. I started wearing briefs, and that seems to help. Jock strap didn't help much. Hernia belt only seems to help keep it in if I retract it well.

You know, my family has a history of kdney stones, and I got them. Also a history of hernia, and I got it. There is a history of prostate problems, I am DEFINETELY going to moniter that now...

I am counting on your experience out there fellas...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

Im always afraid of getting a hernia. About 4 years ago i was feeling a small bulge occasionally and some pain in my groin. I was diagnosed with a pre hernia, which was described as a weakness but not an actual hernia that required surgery at that point. It went away for a while, but then came back with a vengeance. The bulge was bigger than ever, i mean sometimes it was really big, and like you, would go down into the testicle area. It was something i could push back in, but then usually it would just come back out. I found it to be most prevalent whenever i had to go to the bathroom. Well anyways, over this last 10 months since i quit my old job its went away again. I dont know how to explain it, but im thinking diet may have had alot to do with it. I worked on the road so i used to eat fast food like 4 sometimes 5 times a week, and like i said this problem seemed to coincide alot with feeling bloated and being gassy. Another possible explanation, although i dont know if this has any merit to it, is ive been doing alot of deadlifting during this time. Maybe my core being stronger is stopping it from occuring...i dont know. Its strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:30 am 
Novice
Novice

Yeah, My strong core should've helped...

I swear to God the thing that probably pushed it over the edge was my sudden recent increase in 'activities.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:48 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Frog. Don't be too discouraged. I have had two hernias. Both down south and on the right side of the body. The first came when I was doing a lot of pulling off the floor, in conjunction with my job at the time, which was laying and reeling up heavycable into and out of the sea. yes, we winched it, but 2 bodies were still required to direct the cable off and onto the spool. To make a long story short, after the first fix (mesh, after an incision, was put into place) I asked the Doc when I could return to training, and he said never. So I went right into heavy pulls just to prove him wrong, and two weeks later I had another, got it repaired. This time, I inched back into it. Did a lot of core work, similar to what standAPART lists in his article in the visitors section about TVA and gravity, , went back into the pulls, and gradually increased weight, and have had no problems since. That was 1992. One word about belts.When I got the hernia, I was using a belt forn DL's. I cinched the thing up TIGHT. Let me tell you, that is wrong When you get down into the bottom squat or DL mpoiion, the mechanics of your bodytend to push out the abdomen. With a tight belt on, it leaes nowhere for the pressure to go other than down into the left or right lower quadrant, meaning a hernia is waiting to happen. A good rule of thumb for belts is what I got from a good PL type.Stand erect, put the belt on snugly, and make sure you can get two fingers into it between your belt and body.
Good luck Deadfrog, but do yourself a favor, if there are any questions on whether or not you have one, see a doctor.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 am 

Jeff D, you seem to have symptoms similar to mine. It's probably not a hernia. Mine has to do with the prostate. I'm on medication right now. When it builds up about the time to go to the bathroom, it's a signal that the prostate has enlargened, and is wrappeing itself around the cords and restricting the flow of urea. Could be as simple as an enlargining prostate, or as bad as prostate cancer. My advice, get to your doctor, with full explanations, and do it now.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:19 am 
Novice
Novice

Tim - Thanks for the advice. Like i said though, this problem has been completely gone for nearly a year now. From everything ive read about hernias, thats what it sounded like. It wasnt always when i had to go to the bathroom, i shouldve mentioned that. (and to specify, im talkin #2)Also if i had the bulge and laid down, it wouldnt be there anymore. Wasnt only in the scrotum either, it was like the whole right groin area. Do you think its possible it was still only the weakness thing i had before? Its not possible for a hernia to just go away is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 am 

A hernia is a tear in the muscular wall.A flat out tear won't go away, however, if it's just a weakness in the wall, the probability is that work on that wall will supress the bulge. Now, in my case, I originally suspeced I might have reinduced my hernia(s), but it was only when I had to do number 1. Got a big bulge, and had to push on it in order to pee. Went to the Doc and he told me about the prostate. In my case, no big C (cancer), but it is enlargened, and has wrapped around the cords. No big deal, am taking some meds for that. In any event though Jeff, I would at least get a phone consult (usually no cost) on all the possibilities you might have. Good luck, Jeff.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Yes Jeff, good luck, and thanks Tim for the advice.

Both doctors said it is a hernia for sure...

I guess I will listen to my body and inch back into it as you say. But what about 'activities'? I honestly feel they aggrevate the hernia more than lifting or anything else (except maybe going to the bathroom). My girlfriend feels terrible about the whole thing. I told her it is not her fault.

I am actually feeling quite upbeat about the whole thing. I want to get the surgery and get back to normal. It definetely doesn't feel normal right now, having your guts hang out and all. I feel injured and I can't wait to get better.

As a side note, I have to begin monitoring my prostate, as I explained earlier. What's the key symptom to watch out for?

Post subject: Hernia Relief
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:09 pm 
former lurker

Hi Guys,

I just want to offer a suggestion that might relieve some of the discomfort of an inguinal hernia.

I developed a left groin hernia about two years ago. I'm retired but I do a lot of physical work on projects around the house. I bought one of those inexpensive supports for 20+ dollars but found that it didn't seem to help much. I had to frequently lie down until the hernia withdrew.

I then tried something different. I had an old set of weights with the dumbells (where did they get that name from?). I took the bar which was about 5 pounds and about 14 inches in length and attached one of the collars about 4-5 inches from one end. This was an old bar from a York weight lifting set and it used a set screw to hold the collar to the bar. I then slid the bar under my belt in a sword fashion. I found this to be very effective in preventing the hernia from pushing out. I do not have to stop and lay down at all.

It seems to be effective especially when I sit down. The old fabric support always loosened when I sat down. And, if I have to go shopping or somewhere away from home, the discomfort that I used to have is greatly reduced.

As I said, I'm retired, so I can employ this method much more readily than someone who has to be away from home a lot. Hope this might help some of you.

Good Luck