ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:35 am 
I've been following a routine i developed with some good success, but would like some suggestions to improve it/make it more interesting.

My routine is based on alternating between a high intensity cardio type movement and a strength movement based on heavy singles in a compound movement or full-body combos. Here is an example:

1 minute of balls-out brawling with the heavy bag
5 power snatches with 90% rm (30 sec max rest between singles)
1 minute of balls-out rowing
5 back squats with 90% rm (30 sec max rest between singles)
100 jumping jacks with 10lb dumbells
5 clean and press with 90% rm (same rest scheme)

I might do 2 - 3 rounds of this in one workout, going from one "station" to the next with as little rest as possible. Other times i will set up additional bars/dumbells and add a variety of strength movements to make one larger circuit, repeating the cardio moves above. My problem is that i have run out of additional ideas for the cardio movements to add variety.

I am thinking of these movements below, but would appreciate any other suggestions people here might have:

-medicine ball thrusters
-medicine ball swings,
-box jumps
-400 meter run on treadmill

I workout at home and have a treadmill, several bars and dumbell handles as well as a ton of plates and some sandbags. I just need a little help with the imagination.

My overall goal is functional strength and conditioning. Not concerned with losing weight/burning fat or gaining mass. But if either of these happen, it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:24 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

IMHO it's awesome. Keep it up. Sounds to me like it's patterned after Crossfit. For more ideas, check out crossfit.com, they post a daily workout that look almost exactly like what you are doing, and it varies daily.
Tim

Post subject: Some More Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:42 am 

Hi again. Forgot another great site with plenty of ideas for you to throw around. CF is great, especially for the cardio type moves, but I've found them a little lacking (although you have it covered nicely) in the all out strength type of stuff. At http://www.mikesgym.org you will find that he has a collection of various WODs (workout of the day) set up that are probably closer geared to what you are looking for than CF. He also posts an Oly lifting daily schedule for his lifters. Good source of ideas for you, as is crossfit North Carolina. (you can get the link from the CF home page). Good training.
Tim

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]