ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:17 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Stephen. Amen on the arhritus issues. It started with me about 14 years ago, and hasn't gotten any better. I've found that lighter, quicker workouts actually make it feel better for a day or so. I guess it's probably the endorphin thing. I've been using generic IBPROFEN, but am considering trying some Aleve (Naproxin I believe). I don't consider it bad enough yet to go prescription, but was wondering what you use?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:18 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

TimD

My arthritis (left knee) is mild, so I don't use much medication. When I do, I use enteric asprin. I stay away from ibuprofen - it's too hard on the liver

I should add that I take supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin

Update: Maybe I should think twice about supplements:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=55317

They seem to work, but it just might be a placebo effect

Post subject: Lifting Past Age 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Tim D. and Stever: I think we're all on the same page of the training log, here. At 6', I dropped from 220 to 195 after an RC tear. Now, I have learned that it's not hard for we older men to maintain that "buff look" the younger guys are busting their guts for. Total body workouts with higher reps and a junk-free diet are all it takes. The old lifting straps hanging on my last trophy are practically worn through from lifting the equivalent of a house or two in my thirties. That's probably what some of my connective tissue looks like as well. Let's face it, being the "incredible bulk" was a hell of a lot of work and took a time away from the family. I don't want to blow something out now by trying to proving a point near my retirement years. I have lots of gold-plated plastic and scrapbook photos to do that.
I thinik Neil Young had the right idea when he sang, "some get strong and some get strange...sooner or later it all gets real."

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:06 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

"Old man take a look at my life...I'm alot like you were."

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.