ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which of these two?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:14 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hello again, I was wondering which of these two (multiple sorts of exercises) was best to start building muscle.

Bench Press or Flyes? Bench Press is the most general of all chest exercises, but the primary use of your chest is to embrace someone. So I figured flyes would be better.

Bent-over Row (dumbbell) or Ben-over Row (barbell/EZ-curl bar)? For some it might look weird, but it seemed that my muscles reacted in a different way to both these exercises. Or isn't it?

Shoulder Press (dumbbells) or Arnold Press? I think that the Arnold press is (much) harder then the Shoulder press.

Upright Rows or Lateral Raises? Upright Rows work more muscles, but is it not as good as the Lateral Raises for the lateral deltoids?

Rear-delt Rows or Rear Lateral Raise? Same question as the former.

Hammer Curls or Concentration Curls? Which of these is better as an extra biceps exercise. I believed that Hammer Curls like Concentration Curls were primarily for the brachialis. I was wrong but it still remains a good question as I don't have a Preacher Curl bench.

Lying Triceps Extension (Skullcrusher) or Triceps Extension? Which is best for overal triceps gain. I've always done Triceps Extenxions and I now have a 'big' lateral head of the triceps (outside part). And I'd like to have more mass at the other parts too (you could give a better exercise then the ones I've noted).

These were all of my questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bench for sure. Flyes are only for certain situations.

I probably do barbell row more, but dumbells (bent over, seated bent over, or prone) are good too. I even like to throw in T-bar (with a real barbell of course) from time to time.

I just do shoulder press. I don't see the value of all that twisty crap in the arnold press.

Upright rows are as good as lateral raises. Some people can't do them. If you can do them you might as well.

I like the rear delt row with a wide grip. That really isolates the rear delts. One set after you finish your back is a good finishing move for them.

Hammer curls are better. This is because you need some brachioradialis work. Conc curls are for the brachialis. Too much fuss over such a tiny little muscle. Besides that if you do your regular bicep curls and your back work correctly, the brachialis has had plenty of work. In fact if you have any arm soreness, it's probably there, without targeting it.

Your tricep exercises are fine. I like lying dumbell extensions too. Close grip bench is another good one. If you work your chest with all heavy pressing exercises, you will find the triceps mostly done by the time you get to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:07 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Expanding on what Ironman said:

1-Compound exercises are better than isolation exercises both for increasing size and strength and producing real world (or functional) benefits.

2-Learning form is easier for barbell exercises than dumbbell exercises. For beginners, learning good exercise form is critical. Not only does good form produce better results, but it also reduces the risk of injury.

Putting the two together, the bench press, barbell bent over row, rear delt row and upright row are the winners. Military presses and barbell curls would be better beginner choices than the ones listed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:52 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Thanks for the information.