Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:03 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

devilsdetroit wrote:
. Please do get in touch with me on skype, just add andrewh34, or reply on here

For the readers of this board, skype is a new one on me. But I did a google search and came up with this link:

http://www.skype.com/

We don't make house calls here. ;-)

What equipment do you have access to, in school or a gym?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:17 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Got it Stephen. It's toast.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:15 pm 

It may be time to try mandatory registration in order to post. Usually the registration process can put up road blocks to stop automated posting programs, which I am sure are what we have here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:47 pm 

Ryan, I admin as well as moderate. It is mandatory to register before posting. I switched the permissions over 5 months ago. Now, the problem I'm having, is getting from the admin controls into controlling registration. As it stands right now, the spammers are registering in automatically, via their PC. Just look at the number of registered users there are. I can ban, delete them, whatever, they just keep coming up under different registered names. I've talked to James about this, and am right now trying to talk to other admin types of the phpbb boards. I've noticed they don't have the problem. Ironman said something about e-mail confirmation, but I can't find anything about that, or a path to registration proceedures in the controls. I know crossfit does. You don't just register automatically, they check you out somehow. I'm open to all suggestions, and will continue to check in with other phpbb admin types think. The jerk I particularly loathe is this phentermine spammer. He must be registered in under over a couple of hundered different names.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Tim,

I'm an admin at a phpbb2 board. I have the ability to set mine up so that I you have to enter a random visual code when you register. This eliminates automatic registration because the visual code is an image and not text. Using this, registration can only be done by a person who takes the time to look at the board and not automatically by a program.

If you go into the admin panel and click on "configuration," there should be an option called "Enable visual confirmation."

The other, although far more tedious option, would be for you to choose the "Admin" feature on the "Enable account activation" option, also found in the "configuration" section of the admin panel. This means an account cannot be activated until you or another admin confirms it. But this means you have to manually confirm each and every new account.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

Here is a Link to what the configuration link of my admin panel looks like (identifying info removed since it's a private board). Right now, we allow anyone to register, but they have to use the visual confirmation.

ETA: Here is another Link that shows the admin panel menu options on the lefthand side of the screen. Click "configuration" to get to the link I posted above.

I don't know if your board is like this or not, but they should be similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:59 pm 

Drew. I couldn't see much on the 1st link, but the 2nd is close to what I have. I'm going to study it, and your instructions. Are you up for me to be doing e-mails with you? I'm not on phpbb2, but the layout in link 2 looks like ours. I'll get back with you, and thank you, very much.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm not sure what features may or may not be present in different versions of phpbb software, but I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have (assuming, of course, that I even have the answers!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:37 pm 

I was also thinking along the lines of a visual key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had mentioned that too. It also needs the thing where the user gets an automated e-mail they have to reply to. It's gotten bad lately. I have been zapping like 20 a day. Then Tim probably zaps that many too. I have to agree the phentermine is the worst. Probably half of it is about that. Don't people know it's not effective without the other phen drug that gave people heart attacks? oh well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 am 
Novice
Novice

Ironman wrote:
I had mentioned that too. It also needs the thing where the user gets an automated e-mail they have to reply to. It's gotten bad lately. I have been zapping like 20 a day. Then Tim probably zaps that many too. I have to agree the phentermine is the worst. Probably half of it is about that. Don't people know it's not effective without the other phen drug that gave people heart attacks? oh well....

This image shows the board configuration for my own board. The "Enable account activation" line allows the admin to activate each account by clicking a link in an email message (as I mentioned in an earlier post), but it also allows the user to activate the account by clicking on a link in an email message.

I'm not sure of the specifics here, but I would be very surprised if this forum's software version did not have that capability in some form or another, even if it's tucked away in a different place than mine is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 am 

OK, thanks guys. I haven't stumbled onto that one yet Drew. I do have a similar setupto the 2nd link in your earlier post. I'd be surprized if I don't have something similar to your last link, and that would definately solve the problem. And Ironman, now I know eactly what you were referring to with e-mail confirmation and / or visual. Duh on me. I use it every time I use on line banking, and other essage boards have a similar setup. I'll be diving into the admin boards shortly. Thanks again guys.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 am 
Novice
Novice

Okay, I adjusted my screen resolution to get a better image of what I'm talking about. Here's the portion of my board configuration that I'm talking about. Hopefully this one is a little easier to read.

ETA: The two lines second and third from the bottom are the two I'm talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:03 am 

Thanks Drew. I'm printing this whole thread out right now so that I can use your images as reference when I go into admin. Thanks again.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:43 am 

Many thanks Drew. Found the general admin , took the link, and see exactly how to do this. Problem is, we have about 4 thousand registered users, thanks to the spammers and their PC's. If I dumped all registrations right now, then required people to register with the visual enabled, that would work. However, I'm not involved in the site itself, and james is the owner. I'll be contacting him today, throwing some ideas at him, and see what course he wants to take with this. When we decide on a course of action, I'll post in the Anouncement section.
Tim