ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leg exercises
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:08 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hello once again, I've just done some leg exercises, but it really did not went well: I've only done 1 quad and 1 hamstring exercise.
I've only done these two exercises because I had no more will to continue my exercises.
When I was doing the Straight-leg Straight-back deadlift my arms couldn't hold the weight that was needed to train my hamstrings.
With the Lunges I was very exhausted (out of breath) after just 10 reps and couldn't do any more of them, is this normal?

Should I buy straps to support the weight or must I get stronger forearms?

And today I've tried to do some single legged reverse calf raises, but I couldn't go further then parallel to the ground. Is this because my tibialis is weak or because of I was wearing shoes to do the exercise?
Please give some advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:56 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

It sounds like you're going heavy - try using less weight. For stiff legged deadlifts, getting the range of motion to the point of a mild stretch in the hamstrings is more important than the amount of weight that you use.

When I first started lunges, they were awkward so I did them freehand (no weight) until I got the hang of them.

As for your ankles, tight ankles are common. To improve your range of motion, you just have to be persistent. With practice, improvement will come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:34 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Goining in the same theme as Stephen, I would advise doing overhead and front squats with an empty bar as a warmup, then use an unloadd bar for semi straight leg Dl's, or better yet, RDL's. These will loosen up everything, hams, quads, and with the overheads, your upper back and shoulder girdle. You could do this everyday, multiple time for flexibility support.
Wrist straps, well, there are divided opinions on this. I am in the camp that unless you are concentrating on a lift for competition, go ahead and use them. Also, do some grip work, pick a heavy bar out of the rack, and hold it until it drops, pinch grip some 45's, and farmer's walks are great.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:16 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

TimD wrote:
I would advise doing overhead and front squats with an empty bar as a warmup, then use an unloadd bar for semi straight leg Dl's, or better yet, RDL's. These will loosen up everything, hams, quads, and with the overheads, your upper back and shoulder girdle. You could do this everyday, multiple time for flexibility support.
Wrist straps, well, there are divided opinions on this. I am in the camp that unless you are concentrating on a lift for competition, go ahead and use them. Also, do some grip work, pick a heavy bar out of the rack, and hold it until it drops, pinch grip some 45's, and farmer's walks are great.
Tim

Sounds like a plan to me, TimD!