Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey fellas,

I had my surgery on Friday.

OMG I'm in a lot of pain. And I know pain (scoliosis herrington rod surgery, kidney stones).

Anyway, I'll keep this topic updated. Hopefully it'll document for someone else a good idea of how long it takes to recover.

If you mod guys wanna move it over the the journal section, OK, but I will probably get a few replies...

Now it's Saturday afternoon and I'm seeing progress already. The doctors said it is a medical mystery but hernia surgeries are in fact much harder on us young guys. The nurses theorized it is because of better nerve endings. I had a pretty good sized hernia, and it was very low in the groin which means I can hardly move my left leg right now. My cane is a lifesaver, as are my mom and girlfriend. I am taking one perchaset pill every five hours.

Well. one thing is for sure, my triceps won't atrophy 'dipping' in and out of my computer chair! LOL

Wish me luck and good luck yourselves out there.

-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:24 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Mark. I had an operation about 12 years ago. I'm not sure how our surgeries differed, but with me, they cut in, put in some mesh, and sewed it back up. I had some pain for a day or two, but the thing that really got to me wasn'tpain, it was what they used to anesthesize (sp?) me. Bottled me up for days lke someone stuck a cork in my behind. After day 3 I had to take a laxative to get things going correctly again. But all was fine after that. I was shipping out at the time, and part of my job back thing was cable laying and retrieving off the back deck. I was out there back into it within a week. Good luck in your recuperation.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Tim!

Yeah, from what everyone was telling me, I would recover quickly. Some people evern said they were able to work the next day. I guess this one is just in the wrong spot because I'm pretty much incapacitated. I can barely move my left leg without much pain.

They put in a plug in the hole, and then mesh. If I don't go #2 by Monday, I'll take some Swiss Kriss natural laxative. I'm not relishing the thought of sitting down and getting up on a relatively low toilet, nevermind the pushing. I ttok a week off work, hope I'll be ready by then, I need the money!

I think if this was higher up on the abdomen it would be a lot simpler.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:18 am 
Novice
Novice

It's now day 3 and alternating Motrin with the painkillers seems to help with the pain and inflammation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Monday after Fri surgery.

Totally off painkillers and on motrin.

Went to the bathroom twice, sweeet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:53 pm 

Hey, never used Motrin, but have used IBProfen all the time. They call it "grunt candy", referring to the US Marines infantry. I still use the stuff almost every morning and night, as at 57 my joints are probably history
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:13 am 

Who would ever thought going to the bathroom would be something to celebrate? and twice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:04 am 
Novice
Novice

TimD wrote:
Hi Mark. I had an operation about 12 years ago. I'm not sure how our surgeries differed, but with me, they cut in, put in some mesh, and sewed it back up. I had some pain for a day or two, but the thing that really got to me wasn'tpain, it was what they used to anesthesize (sp?) me. Bottled me up for days lke someone stuck a cork in my behind. After day 3 I had to take a laxative to get things going correctly again. But all was fine after that. I was shipping out at the time, and part of my job back thing was cable laying and retrieving off the back deck. I was out there back into it within a week. Good luck in your recuperation.
Tim

When my wife had a c-section earlier this year, she was told to use a laxative even though she wasn't immediately bound up. As the doctor explained to us, narcotics (Tylenol 3, oxycodone) have a tendency to cause constipation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thursday

Well, a few tablets of a generic senneside natural laxative (think senekot) have helped a lot. Yeah, gotta be from the pain killers.

I also point out this event because of a word of caution. I have heard horror stories of people ending up back in the hospital after using strong laxatives (ex-lax, docolax) after abdominal surgery. USE THE NATURAL STUFF PEOPLE, worked for me.

Anyway I am off the Motrin today, doesn't seem to be helping much. Feeling better, but still tired from just walking around. As soon as I feel loose, it's time to go for regular walks.

Had to call work today to tell them I'll be out another week. The doctor tooka look at my particular case and told me out of work 2-3 weeks. Man, he wasn't kidding.

LOL hoosegow

So what's the list of things to rehab this gonna look like?
The first thought I had was heading over to the gym and hitting the hand bike, just to get the blood flowing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm 

I'm not suggesting you do what I did. I've been called "an animal". but 3 days out, and being bottled up, I ate half a box of exlax. I like your suggestion much better. It was like a firehose going of in my rear. i was doing clean and pushpresses the day after. I would suggest just gettng into a normal program, and just take it easy with the loading. Work everything, just listen to your body, and don't overdo anything.
Tim