ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need info. on NETA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Tne NETA is holding a weekend workshop at a gym in my area, and I'd like to get some feedback on this organization. I've grown up in the body buildling culture and never paid much attention to things like metabolic rates and heart rates, etc.. Now, at age 56, I think I'd like to get a quick education on that stuff and incorporate it into my lifestyle. Supposedly, you attend two full days and receive some kind of certification, which really isn't important to me. I'd just like to know if the NETA is reputable and well repected in the personal training community. Or, is this just another one of those make-the-money and run workshops? I hope I posted this in the right forum. Thanks!

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:19 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Keith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_trainer (Corrected link - 11:48)

Quote:
Role of NCCA

The importance of finding an NCCA accredited certification cannot be overemphasized. The accreditation was put in place after numerous reports of injury and often death at the hands of trainers who were "certified." Many trainers simply obtain their certification by taking a quick online test. There are several mail-order "certifications", and several certifications which have extremely low or suspicious standards of achievement.

Critics of the NCCA mention that more of a practical component should be tested. Still, the NCCA itself attempts to establish a minimal level of acceptable knowledge, and it is difficult to have reliable means of testing practical ability. While certifications like ACSM and NSCA require a great deal of technical and scientific knowledge, others are less rigorous. Some of the six NCCA certifications are considered to be too easy by those in the industry. However, the standards do allow for a minimal level of accepted knowledge, and anything below NCCA standards is truly unacceptable and dangerous.

NETA courses do not have NCCA ceritication. They are in the process of obtaining it:

http://www.ndeita.com/accreditation.htm

Quote:
Why is NETA pursuing NCCA accreditation?
NETA is and always has been wholly committed to providing the public with a product (hands-on training and certification) that is valid, reliable and fair. NCCA accreditation is one avenue to provide the public with that assurance and NCCA is recognized industry wide as the gold standard in certification accreditation.

When will NETA be accredited?
NCCA does not accredit an organization; it accredits an individual certification program offered by an organization. NETA’s Personal Trainer Certification is currently in the application process (the application was submitted 4/28/2006). NETA’s Group Fitness Instructor certification will undergo meticulous restructuring as we learn from the accreditation process for the Personal Trainer Program.

Hope that's of some help

Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:47 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Keith. I'm a boomer as wll. just hit 57. Stephen's post is right on the money, as usual, but if you are looking for metabolic rates, different styles of training, etc, visit crossfit.com. These peeps are NOT into the bodybuilding style at all, but are into overall fitness.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:06 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

NETA used to be the NDEITA. They shortended their name 2 years ago. They have been around for a while. They are not a bad orgainzation...regardless if they are board certified.